We’ve just finished sending out several boxes of CO Alarms to our Twitter followers, Facebook Fans and visitors to our web site. Last weekend we asked you all to send us your favourite fire safety stories so we could share them on our web site. It was our goal to bring together a valuable and compelling collection of stories to learn from, which will help to motivate readers to improve their fire safety protection. The response was excellent, and it didn’t take us long to receive over 200 entries.
Some of the stories were funny, some were sad and some were plain shocking. But all the stories managed to emphasise the importance of taking fire safety seriously. Today we will start sharing them with everyone else on our web site. We’re sure you’ll enjoy them as much as we have!
We’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone who submitted their story. As promised, we have selected our favourite three entries and awarded them with an extra prize, as well as their CO Alarm:
1st place – Emma Morris
Winner of £100 worth of Love2shop vouchers
2nd place – Pat McMullan
Winner of £50 worth of Love2shop vouchers
3rd place – Sara Cumiskey
Winner of £25 worth of Love2shop vouchers
Keep an eye out for all the stories as they are released each week day on our Fire Safety Stories web page. We’d also love to hear your thoughts, feedback and own messages about the stories through Twitter and Facebook.
Fire safety provider Safelincs Ltd have been awarded the Two Ticks’ Disability Friendly Symbol, which demonstrates the commitment of the company to employ, train and develop staff with disabilities.
In order to receive this symbol from Jobcentre Plus, Safelincs had to demonstrate their dedication to implementing the five commitments outlined under the symbol.
These include guaranteeing an interview for all disabled applicants which meet the minimum requirements for the job vacancy, consult with disabled staff on a regular basis to ensure they can develop and use their abilities and make every effort to retain any member of staff should they become disabled.
Safelincs have also pledged to ensure that their staff develop their disability awareness to enable the five commitments to be implemented and will review the five commitments on an annual basis to ensure that they are continuously renewing their pledge and developing their commitment.
HR Manager, Angie Dewick-Eisele said ‘We are delighted to be awarded the ‘Two Ticks’ Symbol. This award underpins the company ethos of equal opportunity and our commitment to help develop the skills of all our staff. Implementing the five commitments will also dove-tail into our Investors in People framework.’
We are offering a new service, completely free of charge, that will remind households to check that their smoke alarms are in working condition and will actually protect them in case of a fire.
This week the government’s Fire Kills campaign launched its new advertising series to promote fire safety in the home. The focus of this year’s campaign is again on householders testing their alarms and replacing flat batteries. As stakeholders in the organisation, Safelincs are supporting this message with their new smoke alarm test reminder service.
Householders can register with the service and request notification by email or SMS when the next smoke alarm test is due. You can decide the reminder frequency when registering with the service. There are also options to request a reminder when the batterie needs replacing and the smoke alarm has come to the end of its useful life, which is usually after ten years.
To register with this free service, just visit www.safelincs.co.uk/reminders.
For their online customers, Safelincs have created further additions to this service. When you have placed an order with us, Safelincs offer to remind you about the regular tests your new fire safety equipment might require, e.g. the testing of your smoke alarms, the yearly service of your fire extinguishers, the regular testing of newly purchased emergency lighting ad more.
To benefit from this additional service, just order your fire safety equipment on www.safelincs.co.uk.
Safelincs, the UK’s leading online fire safety provider, are celebrating after being shortlisted for the final of the ‘Best Small Business or Third Sector Service Provider’ at the GO Awards.
The competition has never been so healthy and 2009 saw a record number of submissions entered into the GO awards. This makes the achievement of a finalist place even more significant.
The National Government Opportunities (GO) Awards recognise excellence within the public procurement sector. Safelincs were nominated after they won a major council tender in Jan 2008 and provided an excellent service to Kirklees’ council residents. This was part of the ‘Warm Zone Project’ in which Safelincs provided Carbon Monoxide detectors to these residents.
Safelincs, wholeheartedly supported the ‘Warm Zone Project’, which was set up to cut carbon dioxide emissions by promoting the sustainable and efficient use of energy.
Kirklees council’s head of environmental unit, Phillip Webber said: “Throughout the scheme Safelincs has demonstrated excellent service delivery and have always shown enthusiasm and commitment in making sure that the monitors arrive safely and quickly to each customer.”
The finals will be held on 4 June 2009.
A family of three, died in a house fire in Doncaster on March 29 2009. It has not yet been ascertained if the house was fitted with working smoke alarms or how the fire started. This tragedy will be heart felt by many people, not only those who live in the district of the incident but also many people who have children and can relate to the tragic loss of life.
Correctly fitting smoke alarms and a fire escape ladder could save your life. Ensure that you and your family know what to do in the event of a fire and practice your escape plan.
Fire is one of those things that we all think will not happen to us, don’t be caught out.
Our condolences go to the family and relatives at this sad time.
The removal of batteries from smoke alarms, or failing to replace old ones is the cause of many deaths and injuries in home fires.
Some people remove batteries from smoke alarms because their alarm keeps beeping. If this is the case check you have the right type of alarm positioned correctly. See our helpsheet for more details.
Alarms save lives, but a smoke alarm with the batteries removed or with flat batteries will not protect you and your family. Regularly test your alarm and replace the batteries whenever the indicator sounds. Never remove the batteries permanently.
Tonight’s Coronation Street (Monday, 30 March 2009) highlights the importance of smoke alarms. In this episode the character Peter Barlow falls asleep with a lit cigerette and sets his flat on fire, where he lives with his son. In this case, the smoke alarm has had the batteries removed and the pair are subsequently overcome by smoke and fire and have to be rescued by neighbours, and leaves the character’s son fighting for his life.
Don’t let this happen to you and your family!
Following the granting of the design rights earlier in the year, Safelincs has now moved to the pre-production tooling stage for the new Safelincs Cavity Fire Escape Ladder, which is designed to fit in the inner leaf of newbuild homes. The ladder and all its elements are completely hidden from view and can be deployed in less time than traditional portable fire escape ladders. The next step is to go through the necessary safety certification as required for the building industry. One building company has already agreed to install these ladders in a number of their homes for final field trials.
Safelincs has been granted design rights by the UK Patent Office for a new, ground-breaking design of fire escape ladder located in the wall and cavity of new-built homes. This fire escape ladder is totally hidden from sight, is accessible within seconds and can be deployed easily, even by children. The ladder should be available by the end of the 4th quarter 2008