Intumescent Pipe Collars – A Guide

We recently introduced a new range of  ASTROflame pipe collars. As we receive many questions about the use of pipe collars we feltl that a write -up about these collars might be helpful.

What are pipe collars?

Where plastic soil and water pipes pass through fire compartment walls and floors, fire could spread between these building compartments as the pipes melt. Pipe collars are used in these situations to stop the spread of fire. They are fitted around the pipe and on exposure to heat from a fire they rapidly expand inwards to squeeze the collapsing plastic pipe until the aperture is completely sealed. ASTROflame pipe collars can be used on UPVC, ABS, MDPE, HDPE and PP pipes up to 355mm diameter. They are available with 2 or 4 hours fire resistance and are tested to BS476: Part 20: 1987 and EN1366-3. They also come with NHCB Type Approval.

What are pipe collars made of?

Intumescent pipe collars are made from intumescent material (based on heat reactive graphite ) bonded to the inside of a steel sleeve. The steel sleeve is powder coated and can be opened and fitted around the pipe. They are closed with a toggle clasp.

How are pipe collars fitted?

Our collars are designed for surface mounting, with the option to fully or semi-cast into masonry floors or walls. The fixing brackets provided can be used for securing the sleeve with non-combustable screws or bolts, or to assist ‘keying-in’ if collars are for recessed installations.

For horizontal installations the collar may be surface mounted or recessed and should be located on one or both sides according to the direction of risk.

Fitting to Masonry/Block Walls

1) Attach the Astro Collar to the pipe so that the integral mounting lugs are pressed tight to the surface of the wall.

2) Mark the position of the bolt slots in the mounting lugs onto the surface of the wall with a marker pen.

3) Rotate the collar slightly, (or if access is restricted remove from pipe), and drill holes at the pre-marked positions to suit the anchor bolts being used.

4) If the surface of the wall is very uneven, it is recommended to bed the collar onto a bead of ASTRO Intumescent mastic or ASTRO Acrylic to improve the smoke seal efficiency.

5) Insert the anchor bolts and tap home. Relocate the collar in position ensuring that the toggle clasp is snapped closed and that the bolt heads are protruding through the slots in the mounting lugs. Tighten the nuts onto the bolts.

6) NOTE Where there is a fire risk on both sides of the wall, or the direction of fire risk has not been determined, then a Astro Collar should be fitted to both sides of the wall.

7) the collar can also be semi or fully cast into the masonry wall using astro fire rated mortar

Fitting under concrete floor slabs

1) Attach the astro collar to the pipe so that the integral mounting lugs are pressed tight to the soffit (underside) of the concrete floor.

2) Mark the position of the bolt slots in the mounting lugs onto the concrete surface with a marker pen.

3) Drill the bolt holes at the pre-marked positions to suit the anchor bolts being used, (the minimum recommended size of non-combustible anchor bolt is 6mm dia. X 25mm long).

4) If the soffit (underside) of the concrete is very uneven, it is recommended to bed the collar onto a bead of Astroflame Intumescent Mastic or Astroflame Acrylic to improve the smoke seal efficiency.

5) Insert the anchor bolts and tap home. Relocate the collar in position ensuring that the toggle clasp is snapped closed and that the bolt heads are protruding through the slots in the mounting lugs. Tighten the nuts onto the bolts.

6) The collar can also be semi or fully cast into the soffit using astroflame fire rated mortar

Fitting to metal stud partition walls

Fit to both sides of the wall!
1) Attach the astro collar to the pipe to the pipe so that the integral mounting lugs are pressed tight to the surface of the partition wall.
2) Mark the position of the bolt slots in the mounting lugs onto the surface of the wall with a marker pen.

3) Rotate the collar slightly, (or if access is restricted remove from pipe), and drill holes at the pre-marked positions to suit the fixings used.

4) If the surface of the wall is very uneven, it is recommended to bed the collar onto a bead of Astroflame Intumescent mastic or astro Acrylic to improve the smoke seal efficiency.

5) Insert the non-combustible fixings. Relocate the collar in position ensuring that the toggle clasp is snapped closed and that the bolt heads are protruding through the slots in the mounting lugs. Tighten the nuts onto the fixings.

Should you have further queries you can contact us and we are happy to help

Carbon Monoxide Hotspot Report released

The Gas Safety Trust have published a report, identifying carbon monoxide incident hotspots. The report ‘Carbon Monoxide Hotspot Report 2011’ shows where in the UK the highest figures of carbon monoxide poisoning incidents have occurred.

A shocking detail of the report reveals that during the period between July 2010 and July 2011 three times more fatalities were recorded due to carbon monoxide poisoning than for the previous 12 month period.

The Gas Safety Trust are urging householders to take the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning seriously. As many households turn their heating systems back on in October the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is rising. Flues and chimneys should be checked for blockages and gas appliances should have had a yearly service.

Last year there was a significant rise in incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning during December, which was the coldest December recorded for the last 100 years. And 72% of all incidents recorded last year occurred between October and March.

The report shows that less than half the people interviewed, 42%, owned a carbon monoxide alarm but it goes on to say that a shocking 60% of these people had not got round to installing it yet. Carbon monoxide alarms are very easy to install, just connect the battery and attach the alarm to either a wall or ceiling.

Matching the occurances with the size of the population the top hotspots are Devon, Somerset, Staffordshire, N.Ireland, Cheshire and Essex. Yorkshire and the Humber were reported to be the area with the highest carbon monoxide alarm ownership, with 47% of those living in this area owning a CO alarm. This might well be due to the large Warmzone projects, during which free CO alarms were handed out to residents in some of the major towns in Yorkshire. Safelincs took part in one of the projects, supplying 129,000 CO alarms to the residents of Kirklees.

Making a conscious decision and ensuring that you and your family are protected by having a working CO alarm could save lives. Consider, for example, buying a carbon monoxide alarm as a Christmas gift for your children who are living in rented student accommodation.  Ensure you know what the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are and act on them. If you suspect that you are suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide call a registered gas engineer to check the levels of carbon monoxide and also seek medical advice from your GP if you suspect CO poisoning.

To view a selection of carbon monoxide alarms click on these links:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/battery-operated-carbon-monoxide-detectors/

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/mains-powered-carbon-monoxide-detectors/

You can read the full report hear: http://www.gas-safety-trust.org.uk/carbon-monoxide-hotspot-report-2011

Batteries in smoke alarm could have saved lives of father and daughter

A 33 year old man and his six year old daughter died due to a chip pan fire in a house that had a smoke alarm fitted but had no batteries in it.

In April this year the bodies of Mr Andrew Lineton and Kay-Leigh, his six year old daughter, were discovered in their home in Telford.  An inquest in to their deaths concluded that an unattended chip pan had caught fire in the kitchen. The smoke alarm that was fitted did not have any batteries in it and therefore no warning of the fire was given.

The chip pan fire burnt itself out and the deaths were caused due to carbon monoxide poisoning. As carbon monoxide causes drowsiness and leads to unconsciousness Mr Lineton and his daughter were unaware of the fire and unable to evacuate the house.

These tragic deaths could have been prevented. Ensure that you have a working smoke alarm fitted and that you test it regularly. Never remove batteries from an alarm, even if it is sending out an annoying chirp to alert you of the need to replace batteries. Only remove the batteries when you have fresh ones to replace them with.

To read the full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-15204778