District council saves £20,000 in extinguisher deal

Safelincs has installed 54 service free extinguishers for a Sussex district council in a deal that will save it an estimated £20,000 over the next ten years.

Unlike conventional extinguishers the P50 extinguishers do not require an annual service by an external engineer. They have been designed so that a simple check can be undertaken each year by one of the council’s staff, which is where the savings are made.

p-50-parish-council-extinguishers

P50 extinguishers installed in one of the district council buildings

The kitemarked P50 extinguishers are guaranteed for ten years after which they can be refilled and used for another ten years (most extinguishers need refilling after five years). The inner cylinder of the extinguisher is made from composite plastic which is cocooned by spun Aramid, the material bullet proof vests are made from. The metal elements are either brass or stainless steel which means that they are very strong and will not rust or corrode. All the materials used in the construction of the extinguishers are 100% recyclable.

“Installation and certification by one of the Safelincs engineers was included in the price,” explained John Rodway, safety advisor for the council.   “At the same time he demonstrated the straightforward annual checking process and if there is a change of staff, a short video on the Safelincs website runs through the procedure.”

The council has taken mainly foam extinguishers but also has three powder appliances for specialist areas. With no servicing costs for the next ten years it will save in the region of £2,000 annually.

Couple saved by CO alarm

This week, another CO alarm, supplied by Safelincs Ltd on behalf of Kirklees Council, detected a carbon monoxide leak that resulted from a faulty gas fire appliance. The CO alarm began to sound, prompting the occupants to act and call out a service engineer who confirmed the CO in the air.

The gas fire was condemned as it was found to be producing the odourless poisonous gas, which could have rendered the occupants unconscious and potentially could have killed them.

A carbon monoxide leak can cause at first flu like symptoms, tiredness and a general feeling of being unwell. When undetected it can lead to unconsciousness and eventually death.

Darlington Borough Council invest in CO Alarms

Housing Services at Darlington Borough Council has ordered a substantial number of CO alarms from Safelincs to supply their residents with this potentially life-saving equipment. The CO alarms are distributed by the Council’s Home Improvement Agency handypersons visiting households. Safelincs carried out the training of the staff with regards to siting, installation and maintenance of the carbon monoxide alarms.

CO gas (carbon monoxide) is an invisible and tasteless byproduct of the combustion processes, such as in gas boilers etc and can lead to headaches, flu like symptoms, loss of consciousness and even death. It is very important that households using any combustion processes for heating or cooking monitor the CO content of their homes with a carbon monoxide alarm, such as https://www.safelincs.co.uk/carbon-monoxide-detectors/

Successful tender for fire extinguishers

Safelincs have successfully tendered for the supply of fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and CO alarms to East Riding of Yorkshire Council. Safelincs will be supplying fire safety goods for a period of three years to the East Yorkshire Council. We see this as a confirmation of our strategy to focus on the fire safety needs in the public sector. Safelincs has just been awarded ‘Highly Commended’ status at the National GO Awards for Public Procurement Excellence