Landlords Fire Safety Bill not Successful

The private members bill which addressed the need for landlords to ensure that every rented property had adequate mains powered fire detection was not successful during it’s second  hearing.

However, Liberal Democrat MP Mr Adrian Sanders, who put this bill forward has not given up hope of the bill. He feel very strongly that vulnerable individuals should be protected from the risk of fire and will continue to work on the bill.

Despite the fact that there was support for this bill from MPs from the three main parties, the bill failed due to concerns that it could not be regulated adequately. Under Secretary of State, Bob Neil, opposed the costs that would be involved in implementing such a bill and was also concerned that the bill could not be properly enforced.

To read the full report follow this link http://www.info4fire.com/news-content/full/fire-safety-bill-defeated-in-house-of-commons

Development of Landlords Fire Safety Bill

Liberal Democrat MP, Adrian Sanders, has introduced a  private members bill to ensure that landlords are responsible for having a working smoke alarm system for the premises they let.

This bill will now have its second hearing. The bill outlines the responsibility of landlords to ensure that on the onset of a new tenancy there is a functioning mains wired smoke alarm system installed in each property. The continuous responsibility to ensure that the alarm system is in good working order would then be that of the tenant.

Mr Sanders hopes that this bill will help to protect a vulnerable section of our society. It comes as a result of two children dying in a fire in a rented property in Torquay in October 2009. The property was not equipped with smoke alarms.