Fire alarm system in hotel prevents spread of fire

A fire which broke out in the boiler room of the Beach Arms Hotel in Basingstoke, was detected at the early stages of onset due to a well maintained fire alarm system.

The fire was detected and the alarm raised at around midday. Two staff members tried to extinguish the fire with an extinguisher while the manager informed the emergency services and evacuated the hotel. The swift action was praised by the brigade as it prevented the fire spreading to the roof space and preventing any injuries as a result of the fire.

The cause of the fire is not yet know but an investigation into the incident is underway.

Ensure that your alarms are working and check them on a regular basis. You can request a free reminder from our reminder service.

To read the full story about this fire follow this link

Hotel fire caused by faulty vacuum cleaner

Duke’s Head Hotel, a four storey hotel in King’s Lynn, experienced a fire due to a fault with a wet-and-dry vacuum cleaner on December 10, 2010.

The hotel staff effectively and promptly evacuated guests from the hotel as well as their restaurants and bars, ensuring that there were no injuries incurred as a result. The fire was contained in a third floor bedroom but smoke damage has occurred to the room and corridor.

The fire, which broke out at just after 12 noon, was attended by eleven fire engines from King’s Lynn, Downham Market, Sandringham, Terrington, Massingham and Wymondham. The fire crews took about one hour to get the fire under control and was mostly out by 1.15pm.

To read the full story follow this linkĀ  http://www.info4fire.com/news-content/full/faulty-vacuum-cleaner-sparks-hotel-fire

Hotel Fires, Your guests, your responsibility

August and September have seen two major fire incidents in two hotels, ‘The Swan and Royal Hotel’, Clitheroe and the ‘Grand Burstin Hotel’, Folkestone. In both cases all residents at the hotels and staff were evacuated without any serious consequences.

If you are a hotel or bed and breakfast owner it is your responsibility to ensure that your premises have adequate fire detection and protection. In the case of the Grand Burstin Hotel the alarm was raised by a passerby. Had the member of public not noticed the fire, the outcome could have been very different and casualties could have resulted.

Here are some important questions you need to ask yourself:

Do I have adequate fire detection and do my smoke alarms conform to the correct standard?
Do I have adequate fire extinguisher cover and are they up to date on service?
Have I got adequate means of escape or do I need to install fire escape ladders?
Are my guests aware of the evacuation procedure should the alarm be raised and do I have guests who would require assistance?

By asking yourself these few simple questions and acting on the outcome of the answers, you could be preventing a disaster. The hotel fire at the Grand Burstin was caused due to a guest leaving a tea light lit on top of the TV set unattended. Not something that you can prevent, but had the alarm been raised sooner, the damage due to smoke and flames could have been restricted.

Remember, it is not only the lives of yourself and your guests you are protecting but also your livelihood and home. Unfortunately, the 18th century Swan and Royal Hotel was left wrecked by the fire that occurred there.

Your guests are YOUR responsibility. Safelincs Ltd are here to help you ensure that you have adequate protection. Please call FREEPHONE 0800 612 2946 for assistance.

Ref:

www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/ribblevalley/clitheroe/4583227.Huge_fire_guts_Clitheroe_inn/?ref=rss

www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2009/august/17/hotel_fire.aspx