Firework safety

fireworksRoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents is campaigning for an increase in awareness of the dangers created by setting off fireworks.

Fireworks look magical but we must remember that they are made from explosives and are therefore dangerous. Even innocent products, such as sparklers, get five times hotter than cooking oil and if you were to put three sparklers together they would generate the same heat as a blowtorch.  A fireworks rocket can reach speeds of up to 150mph; imagine the impact it would have if it were to hit a person at this speed.

The majority of injuries caused by fireworks are to hands, followed by eyes and face. It is important that everyone adheres to the firework code. Educating children and young people in the correct handling of fireworks can prevent injuries from happening, as most injuries happen to under 17 year olds.

To reduce the risk from fireworks, consider the recommendations of the Firework Code:

– Only buy fireworks that comply with BS 7114 British Standard
– Don’t drink alcohol if you’re setting off fireworks
– Keep fireworks in a closed box
– Follow the instructions for each firework
– Stand well back
– Never go near a firework that has been lit – if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode
– Never throw fireworks or put them in your pocket
– Always supervise children around fireworks
– Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
– Never give sparklers to children under five years old
– Keep pets indoors

Burns can scar for life. Make ensure you have a burns kit at the ready should an injury occur. A water mist extinguisher will quickly quench any fire and can even be used on clothing. The microscopic droplets of water from the extinguisher form a cooling mist over the fire and smother the oxygen, extinguishing the fire.

Be safe, Be prepared

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *