Thursday 18th August 2011
During July and August this year there have been several deaths reported due to carbon monoxide poisoning in tents. One particular tragic death was that of a 35 year old woman, who was found dead next to her children aged seven and four and her husband. The children and husband were taken to hospital where they were later released, but it was said that they only just escaped with their lives. It is believed that the CO poisoning was due to carbon monoxide fumes entering the tent as a result of the barbecue being moved to the tent entrance to provide some warmth for the family.
These devastating incidents could be avoided if the dangers of carbon monoxide were more widely known.
This summer the temperatures have not been very high and many campers are finding themselves unusually cold at night in their tents. As there are no extra blankets available, many campers have started to bring camping BBQs or gas stoves into the tent to warm it up before going to sleep. Campers have also started to bring their BBQs into their tents to continue cooking due to it starting to rain.
Bringing gas or coal fired cooking appliances inside tents and caravans fills the space quickly with carbon monoxide gas, a byproduct when burning a fossil fuel. The gas then renders the occupants unconscious and death can occur as a result.
Under no circumstances should gas or charcoal appliances be brought in or close to a tent. The carbon monoxide gas can linger inside the tent long after the appliance has been moved away. As the gas is odorless and colourless there is no way to detect if the gas is present. The gas makes the occupant drowsy and once in this state unable to respond to other warning signs such as headaches and nausea.
To read more on these tragic deaths: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026321/Mother-dies-camping-tragedy-Gyrn-Goch.html