New Adapter Plate to Allow Dorgard to be Fitted to Steel Doors

The Dorgard fire door retainer has traditionally been suitable for use on wooden doors only.  The fixing screws supplied with the Dorgard did not allow for installation on steel doors – an application growing in popularity.  With the increase in steel door installations, it was evident that an adapter was needed to cater for this requirement.

Working with Fireco, the manufacturers, Safelincs now offer the new self-adhesive adapter plate, which allows for the Dorgard fire door retainer to be installed on a steel door.  The adapter is fitted quickly and easily and the Dorgard can be removed for maintenance purposes from the plate even after the install. The adapter plate is supplied with a chemical cleaning cloth to prepare the door’s surface and clear instructions for the installation.

Using the Dorgard fitting template as a guide, this allows for the installer to mark out the necessary position of the plate.  Once marked, the plate can be secured to the steel door using the self adhesive sticker pads. The Dorgard can then be fixed to the adapter plate using the fixing screws provided.

The adapter plate for steel doors can also be used with the wood effect Dorgard fire door retainers, as well as the metal cover finishes.

Carbon Monoxide, a tragic death

After having taken the precaution of having ones chimney swept and boiler serviced you would think that you would be safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Unfortunately, this was not the case for an elderly retired law lecturer who died from carbon monoxide poisoning the morning after having his coal pellet burning central heating boiler and flue cleaned by a chimney sweep.

What makes this case even more tragic is, that the gentleman’s wife had suffered from chest pains and a bad headache that day and had been admitted to hospital, as she was an angina sufferer. It was later confirmed that she had also been suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. As her husband did not complain of any symptoms at the time, carbon monoxide poisoning was overlooked and he stayed at home. The gentleman was found slumped in a chair in his home the next morning and was declared dead at the scene.

This case highlights how valuable a carbon monoxide alarm can be. If only one had been installed at this home, this senseless death could have been prevented. If you use fossil fuels (gas, oil, coal and wood) within your home, you could be at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, sore throat, dizziness and nausea. More severe poisoning can result in confusion, drowsiness and difficulty breathing. Ultimately it leads to coma and death.

Further  information can be found in the Belfast Telegraph