A man from Corby in Northampton died after being engulfed in flames. The pensioner was overwhelmed by flames after falling asleep in his lounge with a lit cigarette.
The man had returned home after a late night drinking session in August 2008 and fallen to sleep holding a cigarette. This began smouldering and set fire to his trousers, his girlfriend desperately tried to douse the flames as he screamed for help.
After the inquest in June, it was discovered that he had previously taken the batteries out of his smoke alarm after it kept going off. This is a tragic occurrence that could have been avoided. It is important that you have a working smoke alarm and that it is checked on a regular basis.
To read more about this story visit the BBC news site.