Disposable Face Shields

In pubs, receptions and public places staff frequently wear face masks covering nose and mouth to protect themselves and the public against the spread of airborne germs and viruses. This is usually sufficient to offer reasonable protection. However, what happens if a member of the public falls ill and the member of staff has to provide support or even first aid?

Disposable face shield protects against  airborne germs, bacteria, and viruses.
Disposable face shield protects against airborne germs, bacteria, and viruses

A face mask on its own is not sufficient protection if the ill person coughs or sneezes. Droplets could easily infect the first aider through their eyes or where the mask does not fully seal around the mouth and nose. In such cases a face shield is required. However, in places of work where there are multiple staff members it is impractical to store hard plastic face shields for such an emergency. The risk of cross-contamination is just too high and these hard plastic face shields need periodical sanitising to ensure they stay safe to use. Safelincs’ disposable face shields provide the ideal solution. They can be stored flat and can be rapidly deployed in an emergency. They offer a good field of vision, protect the entire face and do not slip even when kneeling down or moving rapidly.

After use they can simply be disposed of without having to clean them, preventing the risk of cross infection and spreading viruses such as COVID-19. They are supplied in packs of 20 and are very economic starting from £0.30 per shield. Please contact Safelincs if you have any questions or would like to trial these shields. Telephone 0800 612 6537 or email support@safelincs.co.uk.

Harry Dewick-Eisele

Harry Dewick-Eisele

Managing Director

MD and founder of Safelincs. Harry has a wealth of in-depth knowledge of all aspects of fire safety and related legislation.

Introduction to the Dräger Parat C hood

draeger-parat-cThe Dräger Parat C is a fire escape hood that fully covers the head, providing 15 minutes of respiratory and eye protection from the toxic gases and fumes produced by fire. The Parat C can be purchased in four different versions; a standard single pack, a soft pack for easy storage, a traveller pack and a twin pack supplied in a wall mounted box.

The hoods are quick to deploy and easy to use, are supplied in one universal size suitable for all ages (including small children), and can be worn by persons with long hair, glasses or beards.

These fire hoods are used for the escape from buildings with long escape routes, are ideal for fire marshals and staff assisting other people to escape from buildings filling with smoke (e.g. teachers in schools). They can be used where smoke from a fire is affecting escape routes. Please note that the hoods will of course not protect you from fire or high temperatures, as the rest of the body is unprotected. If smoke is intense the user needs to move close to the floor where oxygen and cooler air are present.

The Dräger Parat C is fitted with a CO-P2 filter which will protect from the toxic gases shown below:

Chemical Name Description
CO Carbon Monoxide Produced by all fires as a component of smoke, caused by the improper burning of carbon fuels. CO is colourless, odourless and tasteless but highly toxic.Human senses cannot detect CO – symptoms include dizziness, headaches, nausea, stomach pains, breathing difficulties and eventually loss of consciousness.
HCN Hydrogen Cyanide Produced as a by-product of burning combustible everyday materials such as soft furnishings, insulation, clothing, etc. 20 times more toxic that CO. Targets the heart and brain and can incapacitate its victims within a short period of time.
H2S Hydrogen Sulfide Found predominantly in the oil and gas production industry, produced by decaying organic matter and characterised by its strong ‘rotten eggs’ odour. At high concentrations H2S can cause respiratory paralysis, asphyxial seizures and death.
N/A Particles Smoke is a collection of airborne solid and liquid particles, some of which can be highly toxic and cause poisoning when inhaled. When combined with the other by-products of a fire they can cause severe breathing difficulties, long-term illness, loss of consciousness and even death.

 

Watch this short introduction video showing how easy these hoods can be used.