The tragic death of two young children that occurred as the result of a faulty boiler installation in Corfu in 2006 has been highlighted again as two Thomas Cook employees appeared in court accused of manslaughter.
The deaths of Christianne and Robert Shepherd, aged seven and six, were caused through carbon monoxide leaking from a boiler and seeping through the walls of their holiday bungalow in Corfu.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas that occurs from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. It is essential to have appliances checked on a yearly basis to ensure that they are in good working order and are not emitting this poisonous gas. Homeowners, landlords, and tenants should take time to get familiar with the dangers and possible sources of carbon monoxide.
Alarms are available to help detect if carbon monoxide is present, enabling the occupants to escape before the gas renders them unconscious. These devices are inexpensive and can be taken with you when you go on holiday, giving you piece of mind wherever you are.