Sales of CO alarms help children’s charity

captSeveral years ago, Safelincs began working with the Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT), a charity committed to reducing the number of children and young people killed, disabled or seriously injured in accidents. Given the nature of our business, we felt that this was a very appropriate organisation to work with.
CAPT wanted to raise awareness of the dangers from carbon monoxide (CO) and worked with us to set up a page on its website selling CO alarms sourced through Safelincs.
In addition two of the CO alarms from the range sold on Safelincs’ own website include in the price a donation of £1 to CAPT. Every quarter Safelincs writes a cheque to CAPT based on sales; the most recent donation of £585 being the largest yet.

Harry Dewick-Eisele, managing director, Safelincs, commented: “We have seen a steady rise in the sales of CO alarms over recent months. This may be as a consequence of some of the tragic accidents involving carbon monoxide that have gained national attention – notably the recent court case surrounding the heartbreaking case of two children who died of poisoning whilst on holiday in Corfu. ”

“CAPT does a great job raising awareness of potential hazards for children and young people. We are very pleased to be able to support this charity whilst simultaneously increasing the coverage of carbon monoxide protection.”

Carbon Monoxide Danger on Holiday

Family vacationA recent ruling against a well-known holiday operator has again highlighted the very real dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning for holidaymakers. The heartbreaking death of two young children on vacation with their family in Corfu occurred in October 2006. The return to prominence of this terrible and avoidable tragedy serves as a potent reminder of the risks of carbon monoxide whether at home or abroad.
Whilst general awareness of the threat posed by CO is rising, sadly most people simply fail to consider the issue when travelling. At home you are personally able to ensure that fuel burning appliances have been installed correctly and that they have been adequately maintained, however on holiday we rely on those managing the holiday accommodation to do this for us. Carbon monoxide is often cited as the most common cause of accidental poisoning. Children, babies and pregnant women are especially vulnerable, but everyone should take steps to protect themselves against the dangers of this invisible, odourless and lethal gas.
At high levels of exposure, carbon monoxide can kill within minutes. Just a single night’s sleep in proximity to a faulty boiler can prove fatal. The faulty appliance need not even be in the same room, as, frighteningly, CO is capable of reaching life threatening levels even when seeping through walls from adjacent areas.
The only way to ensure you are protected against this danger is to carry a portable CO alarm when travelling, and ensure it is active when you sleep. You may find advice elsewhere stating that colour changing dot type indicators are suitable to take on holiday, but this is simply not the case. People are by far at their most vulnerable when asleep, and these types of indicators cannot wake you in the event of carbon monoxide reaching dangerous levels whilst you sleep.
For as little as £13.67, you can ensure your family is safe from carbon monoxide poisoning throughout your holiday. Please make sure you add a carbon monoxide detector to your holiday checklist. It may be the most important thing you take with you.
For further information about the dangers of carbon monoxide and the symptoms you should look out for, please visit our CO information website.