Despite there being around 270 children per year who die after suffering a sudden cardiac arrest at school there are only 80 out of the approximate 30,000 schools in the country that have a defibrillator on site.
As part of a drive to increase awareness and to inform schools of the pending legislative changes that are coming into force, we ran a competition for schools to win a defibrillator.
The competition entries submitted a short video demonstrating the benefits of having a defibrillator at their school. The entries were judged on message, technique and originality.
There was an unbelievable number of entries into the competition, making judging very hard. Winners were Ravensdale Junior School, Mickelover, Derby and runners up were Penwortham Priory Academy, Preston. Here is a photo of the presentation of the defibrillator to Ravensdale Junior School.
The video and more information about defibrillators in schools can be viewed on our defibrillator competition information page.
This year’s National Schools Fire Safety Week will run from March 19th to March 23rd. It is a week where schools can focus on the importance of fire safety with pupils.
Many fires are started by children with them using matches, lighters and candles. Children are not always aware of how fast a fire can spread and that smoke can kill them just as much as the fire itself. We would like to help raise this awareness and are launching a competition for primary school children.
Any child in England of primary school age can enter the competition by sending us their drawings highlighting fire dangers. This can be as a poster or just a picture showing a dangerous situation. We will then select a winner who will receive a home fire safety kit as well as a surprise present.
Please send your entries to Schools Competition, Safelincs Ltd, Unit 1, Farlesthorpe Road, Alford, Lincolnshire LN12 9PS
Ensure you put your name, age and which school you go to on the back of the picture. The pictures should be no larger than A4.
This week sees the launch of the first Gas Safety Week. The awareness week will run from September 12th to September 16th and to show our support we are giving 10 FREE Kidde 900-0233 carbon monoxide alarms away.
Gas Safe Register are highlighting the importance of using registered qualified engineers for all gas installations and services. Unqualified engineers may not be aware of the correct procedures which could have devastating consequences. Incorrectly installed or serviced gas appliances could result in carbon monoxide being produced leading to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Statistics show that around 4,000 people a year suffer from the effect of carbon monoxide poisoning, some 200 of these are hospitalised and approximately 50 people a year die. This year has seen several deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning of campers taking BBQs into their tents to keep warm. The embers of the BBQ emitted carbon monoxide and the victims were killed as a result of inhaling carbon monoxide. These devastating incidents reveal that there is not enough awareness about carbon monoxide.
If you would like the chance to win one of our free carbon monoxide alarms you can either ‘like us’ on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or register for our CO alarm reminder service, we will remind you to check your carbon monoxide alarms by either e-mail or text.
The Competition is now Closed
We’ve just finished sending out several boxes of CO Alarms to our Twitter followers, Facebook Fans and visitors to our web site. Last weekend we asked you all to send us your favourite fire safety stories so we could share them on our web site. It was our goal to bring together a valuable and compelling collection of stories to learn from, which will help to motivate readers to improve their fire safety protection. The response was excellent, and it didn’t take us long to receive over 200 entries.
Some of the stories were funny, some were sad and some were plain shocking. But all the stories managed to emphasise the importance of taking fire safety seriously. Today we will start sharing them with everyone else on our web site. We’re sure you’ll enjoy them as much as we have!
We’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone who submitted their story. As promised, we have selected our favourite three entries and awarded them with an extra prize, as well as their CO Alarm:
1st place – Emma Morris
Winner of £100 worth of Love2shop vouchers
2nd place – Pat McMullan
Winner of £50 worth of Love2shop vouchers
3rd place – Sara Cumiskey
Winner of £25 worth of Love2shop vouchers
Keep an eye out for all the stories as they are released each week day on our Fire Safety Stories web page. We’d also love to hear your thoughts, feedback and own messages about the stories through Twitter and Facebook.
Today marks the first day of our Twitter competition, where you have the chance to win 1 of 50 carbon monoxide alarms for your home. As a fire safety company and a Fire Kills partner, we know how important it is to promote and educate people about the dangers of smoke and other harmful gases in the home. Not only will you be able to learn a little something in our fire safety quiz, you will also be given the opportunity to sign up to our free smoke alarm reminders service, so you’ll never forget to change your batteries, test or replace your smoke alarm ever again!
As a thank you for your support in spreading this important message we are giving away a fantastic prize. Every day, for 25 days, two lucky winners will each receive a Kidde slimline digital CO alarm. Safelincs and Kidde have teamed up to provide these alarms that could potentially save your life.
The competition is now closed.