Safety for retired miners

minersWhen the Northumberland Aged Mineworkers Homes Association (NAMHA) wanted to ensure that all of its accommodation was safe from the deadly carbon monoxide (CO) gas, it turned to Safelincs.

The organisation provides housing for retired miners, the widows of retired miners and others and was aware that around 50 people each year die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, while many others suffer from carbon monoxide related illnesses. It is believed that this figure is, in reality, far higher, as the symptoms can be easily confused with other ailments. Experts believe that some deaths amongst elderly people are not properly investigated and wrongly attributed to natural causes.

So, as well as ensuring that all gas appliances in its properties are regularly serviced, NAMHA took the decision to invest in CO alarms to warn of the presence of the gas. It contacted Safelincs to ascertain which would be the most appropriate for the properties that required protection.

“The staff at Safelincs were extremely supportive and offered useful advice that helped us choose the CO alarms that best suited our requirements,” explained Kevan Davison from NAMHA. “And their products are very competitively priced.”

Safelincs has so far provided over 500 CO alarms, which come with a ten year long-life sealed battery and ten year manufacturer’s warranty.

Project SHOUT launches today

project-shoutProject SHOUT, a campaign to raise awareness of carbon monoxide (chemical symbol CO) poisoning, launches today, September 7th 2015. We are proud to support this initiative and help spread the word about the silent killer – carbon monoxide.

Here are some of the facts: Tragically around 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, 200 people require hospital treatment and a staggering 4000 people attend an A&E clinic with suspected CO poisoning. Yet there is still a lack of awareness of the dangers of CO.

How can we change these facts and figures? By spreading the awareness and knowledge that CO is a threat to anyone who has a fuel burning appliance in their home or lives in a home that is adjacent to a property with a fuel burning appliance.

CO is the result of ineffective burning of a carbon based fuel and it can leak into a home if flues are not working correctly or if, for example, gas burning appliances are faulty. Labelled as the silent killer carbon monoxide can not be detected by humans. It has no taste, smell or colour and can only be detected with the help of a carbon monoxide alarm.

Find out more about Project SHOUT. If you want to protect your family from the dangers of CO, take advantage of our special offer. For help and advice contact us on 0800 612 6537 or visit our carbon monoxide help pages.