Saffold fire escape ladders are discreet, strong and easy to use fold-out ladders that are permanently fitted to the outside of a building. Quickly and simply opened, the Saffold ladder is perfect for evacuation in an emergency. The ladder is opened by pulling out an anti-tamper release pin located at the top of the ladder when escaping downwards from a window. When escaping from a basement, the pin can be fitted at the bottom. When not in use, the low-profile design of the ladder (only 74mm) and the locking pin deter potential vandals and prevent unauthorised use of the ladder.
- Unobtrusive slimline design with a discreet, drainpipe look when the ladder is not in use
- Anodised aluminium construction and stainless steel fixings make ladder 100% weatherproof
- The ladder can be up to 10m long and additional release stations for buildings with more than one escape level can be easily fitted
- The anti-tamper release pin can be fitted at the top of the ladder or at the bottom depending whether the escape is down from a window/roof or up from a basement
- Burglar proof – the ladder can not be accessed from ground level
- 15 year warranty
- The ladder is very strong. Up to 3 people per floor (max weight 100kg per person) can descend the ladder at the same time. Each rung contributes to the technical load-bearing capacity of the ladder.
- Load tested to BS EN 131-2:2010 by SGS, one of the leading UK certification bodies
- UK manufactured
- Optional features include a pull out extension handle for the use of the ladder from flat roofs and a safety harness
- Supplied with photoluminescent sign providing clear identification of the escape point at each release station
- Anti-slip rungs - concealed within the ladder's profile when closed, providing protection
- The ladder is made up of sections that are connected together on site
- Supplied with an easy to follow installation DVD and all required fixings and drills
Escape From Multiple Floors
Additional can be incorporated to allow the ladder to be accessed from multiple floors, making the ladder suitable for multi-storey buildings.
If you you would like to purchase an additional release station or a need a ladder with escape options from multiple floors please contact us.
The Folding Mechanism
In an emergency this permanently installed fire escape ladder changes from a slimline, unobtrusive feature into a safe and sturdy fire escape ladder. The anti-tamper locking pins are designed for quick release during emergency situations but also provide protection by eliminating unauthorised access from ground level.
Installation of the Saffold Ladder
The Ladder is designed to be installed by competent person and comes complete with a helpful installation DVD, all the necessary fittings and 2 masonry drill bits. A copy of the Installation DVD is available for purchase so that you can decide if the Saffold ladder is suitable for your application. Installation of the Saffold ladder involves a general understanding of DIY and use of some basic tools. To help you asses if self installation will be possible the DVD should help make up your mind.
The ladder when opened must NOT touch the ground. This is important to avoid any rubble blocking the full opening of the ladder
This is the technical data for the Saffold Fold-Out Fire Escape Ladder.
||Ladder and rungs: Anodised aluminium
Fixings : Stainless steel
Optional pull-out handle: Anodised aluminium
|Maximum load bearing per section
||3 people: 100kg per person
Photoluminescent wall sign
The following datasheets are available for this product.
Q. Can the Saffold escape ladder be produced in any length?
A. The ladders are made out of standard segments (1.5m, 1.8m and 2.7m) which can be combined to achieve the lengths required. The maximum length is 10m. Please keep in mind that the ladders are usually installed 40cm above ground level to allow the ladder to fully open up.
If the ladder is a little too long for the application it can be shortened from the bottom by sawing off a length.
Q. Can we practice evacuations using the Saffold ladder?
A. Yes, as long as the ladder is installed next to a window that opens (one that does not have to be smashed to escape through it), the Saffold ladder can be used to practise a full evacuation. After the practice the Saffold ladder can be closed and re-secured in place with the anti-tamper pin.
Q. How do I know what length of Saffold ladder I require?
A. To calculate the length of your Saffold ladder please refer to the measurement instructions and then enter your required measurements into our calculator.
Q. What type of fire escape ladder is suitable for use with small children and pets?
A. To be able to carry small children and pets down an escape ladder you would require a child harness or pet harness. These harnesses are suitable for use with all the escape ladders. The escape ladder that is most suitable for use with small children is the externally fixed Saffold ladder. If you would like a portable fire escape ladder suitable for children the X-It ladder offers the most stability. The Amigo ladder is very easy to deploy for children and has strong, wide steps, which help to descend safely.
Q. Is the Saffold escape ladder suitable to be installed on listed buildings?
A. Yes, the Saffold ladder has been successfully installed onto listed buildings, both public and private. The ladder can also be powder coated in any RAL colour.
Show all FAQs