How to Use a Fire Blanket
Fire blankets can be used on fires involving combustible cooking media or in instances where a persons clothing has caught fire.
Fires involving combustible cooking media
- Turn off the heat source if it is safe to do so (NEVER move a container with burning liquid)
- Pull the tapes to release the fire blanket from its box (Fig. 1)
- Hold the blanket in a shield position and if possible wrap the blanket around your hands for protection (Fig. 2)
- Place the blanket gently over the pan/container to smother the fire
- Leave the pan to cool completely – do not attempt to uncover until it is completely cool
If the oil pan fire is too big to tackle evacuate the building immediately and call the emergency services (999).
Personal clothing fires
- Pull the tapes to release the blanket from its box
- Hold the blanket in a shield position and if possible wrap the blanket around your hands for protection
- Wrap the fire blanket around the person who is on fire to smother the flames
Read our Guide to Fire Blankets for more help and advice.
Reviewed: 20/12/2019 (doc:21 V2.0). Our articles are reviewed regularly. However, any changes made to standards or legislation following the review date will not have been considered. Please note that we provide abridged, easy-to-understand guidance. To make detailed decisions about your fire safety provisions, you might require further advice or need to consult the full standards and legislation.