CALL OUR TEAM NOW 0800 612 6537 Also FREE from UK mobiles

Customer Notice

We are currently experiencing a power failure at our head office and warehouse. You may still place your order, but shipping and communication may be affected until electricity is restored.

Smoke, Fire & Gas Detection FAQs

What type of smoke alarm do I need?

We recommend using an optical smoke alarm in hallways, living rooms, dining rooms and bedrooms, as they are good at detecting smouldering fires from soft furnishings and are less likely to be set off by cooking fumes from a connected kitchen.

Ionisation alarms are recommended for landings as they are designed to react quickly to fast flaming fires.

Heat alarms are recommended for kitchens and garages as they do not sound false alarms from cooking fumes, vehicle fumes or steam.

View all smoke, fire & gas detection FAQs


(doc:536 V1.0). Our articles are reviewed regularly. However, any changes made to standards or legislation following the review date will not have been considered. Please note that we provide abridged, easy-to-understand guidance. To make detailed decisions about your fire safety provisions, you might require further advice or need to consult the full standards and legislation.