OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK 0800 612 6537 Lines open today 8am - 8pm

Fire Extinguishers & Equipment FAQs

What type of fire extinguisher should a landlord have for tenants?

In an average sized rental property it is advisable for a landlord to provide the tenant with a fire blanket for the kitchen and a small portable fire extinguisher such as a 2ltr foam or 3ltr water with additive to cover the rest of the property. We stock a 2ltr ABF (suitable for flammable solids such as paper and cardboard, flammable liquids such as petrol, oils and fats, and deep fat fryers) fire extinguisher which would also provide additional cover for kitchens as it is suitable for use on deep fat fryers (chip pans). Another option for the landlord is a water mist fire extinguisher which uses the latest technology in fire fighting to enable a water fire extinguisher to tackle class A, B, C, F and electrical fires safely.

View all fire extinguishers & equipment FAQs


(doc:535 V1.0). Our articles are reviewed regularly. However, any changes made to standards or legislation following the review date will not have been considered. Please note that we provide abridged, easy-to-understand guidance. To make detailed decisions about your fire safety provisions, you might require further advice or need to consult the full standards and legislation.