|Safelincs are proud to announce that they have been invited to become a stakeholder in the Government’s Fire Kills campaign.
The most recent campaign delivered the message ‘Pull Your Finger Out’ to encourage people to check their smoke alarms more frequently.
To support this message in context with the relatively new online fire safety market, Safelincs will shortly be offering all their customers a free service to remind them when alarm batteries or smoke alarms are due for replacement. An additional weekly/monthly ‘have you checked your alarm’ reminder service will also be offered.
After having taken the precaution of having ones chimney swept and boiler serviced you would think that you would be safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Unfortunately, this was not the case for an elderly retired law lecturer who died from carbon monoxide poisoning the morning after having his coal pellet burning central heating boiler and flue cleaned by a chimney sweep.
What makes this case even more tragic is, that the gentleman’s wife had suffered from chest pains and a bad headache that day and had been admitted to hospital, as she was an angina sufferer. It was later confirmed that she had also been suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. As her husband did not complain of any symptoms at the time, carbon monoxide poisoning was overlooked and he stayed at home. The gentleman was found slumped in a chair in his home the next morning and was declared dead at the scene.
This case highlights how valuable a carbon monoxide alarm can be. If only one had been installed at this home, this senseless death could have been prevented. If you use fossil fuels (gas, oil, coal and wood) within your home, you could be at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, sore throat, dizziness and nausea. More severe poisoning can result in confusion, drowsiness and difficulty breathing. Ultimately it leads to coma and death.
Further information can be found in the Belfast Telegraph
Safelincs, the UK’s leading online fire safety provider, are celebrating after being shortlisted for the final of the ‘Best Small Business or Third Sector Service Provider’ at the GO Awards.
The competition has never been so healthy and 2009 saw a record number of submissions entered into the GO awards. This makes the achievement of a finalist place even more significant.
The National Government Opportunities (GO) Awards recognise excellence within the public procurement sector. Safelincs were nominated after they won a major council tender in Jan 2008 and provided an excellent service to Kirklees’ council residents. This was part of the ‘Warm Zone Project’ in which Safelincs provided Carbon Monoxide detectors to these residents.
Safelincs, wholeheartedly supported the ‘Warm Zone Project’, which was set up to cut carbon dioxide emissions by promoting the sustainable and efficient use of energy.
Kirklees council’s head of environmental unit, Phillip Webber said: “Throughout the scheme Safelincs has demonstrated excellent service delivery and have always shown enthusiasm and commitment in making sure that the monitors arrive safely and quickly to each customer.”
The finals will be held on 4 June 2009.
Safelincs now offers the full range of radio-interlinked smoke and heat alarms from Ei Electronics. The new range of alarms are battery powered and connect via radio frequency, making a completely wireless solution for your fire alarm system.
All the alarms are fully conforming to BS5839, kitemarked to BS5446 and supplied with a 5 year warranty.
Safelincs Italy www.safelincs.it reported strongly increased sales of the Kidde 9CO5 Carbon Monoxide Detector towards the end of 2008 following a test report in the ‘Altroconsumo’ product rating magazine. Altroconsumo judged the Kidde CO alarm as the best out of a group of 5 carbon monoxide detectors. The alarm was classified as excellent and was also judged as superior in terms of competitiveness.
The Kidde 9CO5 CO detector features a 7-8 year lifespan, has replaceable batteries and offers excellent and reliable protection with a sensitivity of 30ppm. In the UK this CO Detector can be purchased at https://www.safelincs.co.uk/carbon-monoxide-detectors/
A CO detector supplied by Safelincs as part of the Kirklees Warmzone project last week detected CO gas the day after it was installed. The CO leak came from a faulty flue and could potentially have been fatal for the family. A reminder of how important it is to have a good CO alarm installed in every house!