Today is the beginning of the national Carbon Monoxide campaign “Zero Deaths”. The project is designed to raise awareness of the dangers from this poisonous gas and the threat it poses to householders. In the UK over the last 2 years, over 800 people have been recorded as being affected by carbon monoxide leaks and 130 of those have lost their lives. Many people do not recognise or report their poisoning, so there are many more people affected by the gas than the above figure suggests.
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that is produced when burning fuel. The most common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning is fuel-burning appliances that are not fitted correctly, leaking the gas when natural fuels such as gas, coal, wood etc. do not completely combust. This is not only dangerous to you but also to your neighbours. Carbon monoxide is capable of leaking through walls and ceilings and can penetrate into other flats or attached homes.
The main signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are light-headedness, headaches, vertigo and flu-like symptoms. If you experience these symptoms, you would be best advised to evacuate the house and contact your gas services.
A few simple ways to protect yourself and your family:
Safelincs have successfully tendered for the supply of fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and CO alarms to East Riding of Yorkshire Council. Safelincs will be supplying fire safety goods for a period of three years to the East Yorkshire Council. We see this as a confirmation of our strategy to focus on the fire safety needs in the public sector. Safelincs has just been awarded ‘Highly Commended’ status at the National GO Awards for Public Procurement Excellence
After having taken the precaution of having ones chimney swept and boiler serviced you would think that you would be safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Unfortunately, this was not the case for an elderly retired law lecturer who died from carbon monoxide poisoning the morning after having his coal pellet burning central heating boiler and flue cleaned by a chimney sweep.
What makes this case even more tragic is, that the gentleman’s wife had suffered from chest pains and a bad headache that day and had been admitted to hospital, as she was an angina sufferer. It was later confirmed that she had also been suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. As her husband did not complain of any symptoms at the time, carbon monoxide poisoning was overlooked and he stayed at home. The gentleman was found slumped in a chair in his home the next morning and was declared dead at the scene.
This case highlights how valuable a carbon monoxide alarm can be. If only one had been installed at this home, this senseless death could have been prevented. If you use fossil fuels (gas, oil, coal and wood) within your home, you could be at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, sore throat, dizziness and nausea. More severe poisoning can result in confusion, drowsiness and difficulty breathing. Ultimately it leads to coma and death.
Further information can be found in the Belfast Telegraph
Safelincs have been honoured for outstanding achievement at the annual Government Opportunities (GO) magazine Excellence in Public Procurement Awards, part of National Public Procurement Practitioners Day (N3PD) 2009.
The company was presented with the Highly Commended Award in the GO Best Small Business or Third Sector Service Provider Award category for the companies approach to its clients and also for its relationship with the buyer
Accepting the Award, Harald Dewick-Eisele, Managing Director of Safelincs, said “It feels very rewarding to receive this Award. We won a European tender by Kirklees Metropolitan Borough Council to supply all of Kirklees with CO monitor alarms. We offered substantially more than was directly required, we created a specific carbon monoxide detector for Kirklees with 50% longer warranty than required and at a very good price. Plus we were able to deal with all the customer’s demands.”
The prestigious GO Awards ceremony, held on Thursday 4 June 2009 at the Institution of Civil Engineers, One Great George Street, London, also featured high-profile speakers Chairman of the Audit Commission Michael O’Higgins and Chief Executive of the Office of Government Commerce (OGC), Nigel Smith.
Safelincs Italy www.safelincs.it reported strongly increased sales of the Kidde 9CO5 Carbon Monoxide Detector towards the end of 2008 following a test report in the ‘Altroconsumo’ product rating magazine. Altroconsumo judged the Kidde CO alarm as the best out of a group of 5 carbon monoxide detectors. The alarm was classified as excellent and was also judged as superior in terms of competitiveness.
The Kidde 9CO5 CO detector features a 7-8 year lifespan, has replaceable batteries and offers excellent and reliable protection with a sensitivity of 30ppm. In the UK this CO Detector can be purchased at https://www.safelincs.co.uk/carbon-monoxide-detectors/
Safelincs Italy has just finalised the sale of a large number of Ei261D CO detectors to the Italian Air Force. This is the second time the Italian Army has bought this CO detector in large quantities during this year.
The EI261D is a mains-powered CO alarm with digital display manufactured by Irish EI EIectronics, the largest European manufacturer of CO detectors and smoke alarms.
A CO detector supplied by Safelincs as part of the Kirklees Warmzone project last week detected CO gas the day after it was installed. The CO leak came from a faulty flue and could potentially have been fatal for the family. A reminder of how important it is to have a good CO alarm installed in every house!