Carbon monoxide loan scheme

Last year we were shocked and deeply saddened when several campers died due to carbon monoxide poisoning.  Many people still do not really know how carbon monoxide can affect them and also how and where it occurs. To help reduce the risk to campers we have launched our Safelincs Campers Carbon Monoxide Campaign.

This campaign focuses on introducing CO alarms on camping sites. We invite camp site owners to get involved by joining our CO alarm loan scheme. We will provide  them with a number of FREE carbon monoxide alarms which they can use to loan to their campers who are concerned about carbon monoxide. We are also providing information leaflets to raise awareness and are hoping to contribute to the reduction in the number of deaths from this silent killer.

The carbon monoxide alarms provided are portable and battery operated.

If you are interested in joining our carbon monoxide loan scheme or would like some information leaflets, please contact us either by e-mail: angie@safelincs.co.uk or phone 01507 464 154.

Tragic death of father and two children due to carbon monoxide

The tragic death of Trevor Wallwork and his two children, Kim aged 12 and Harry aged 9 is thought to have been due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The three were found dead in the living room of their home in Co Silgo on December 18. It is thought that a crisp packet that had been put on the open fire was sucked up and blocked the chimney causing the deadly gas to seep into the room.

Their sad deaths highlight how dangerous carbon monoxide is. It is unthinkable that an innocent act of putting a crisp packet on an open fire could have such devastating consequences. If you are unsure what the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are or would like to find out more here is some information for you.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide (chemical symbol: CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and toxic gas created by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels (gas, oil, coal and wood), as used in our everyday appliances such as heaters, engines and boilers.

Symptoms

The symptoms of mild Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to those of viral cold infections: headache, nausea, dizziness, sore throat and dry cough.

More severe poisoning can result in a fast and irregular heart rate, over-breathing (hyperventilation), confusion, drowsiness and difficulty breathing. Ultimately it leads to coma and death.

How to protect yourself and your family

  • Make sure rooms and heaters are well ventilated.
  • Have your chimneys and flues checked regularly.
  • Make sure boilers and heaters are maintained and serviced regularly.
  • A Carbon Monoxide Detector will measure the concentration of Carbon Monoxide in a room and sound an alarm if the CO concentration is higher than permitted (as indicated below)

Here is the full report  http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tragic-victims-of-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-returned-to-uk-2981516.html

 

 

Carbon monoxide study launched by fire brigade

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen to anyone. The gas is tagged the silent killer as it has no smell, taste or colour. It is impossible, without a CO detector, to know if carbon monoxide is present. Merseyside and the West Midlands fire fighting services have just unveiled a pioneering study into the presence of carbon monoxide in homes. It is hoped that this study will lead to actions that will help reduce the figure of people dying from carbon monoxide or suffering from the effects of the deadly gas, which can have long term impact on a person’s health.

The fire crews involved are planning to visit households to take readings for carbon monoxide, and have already made 23,000 visits to homes. They now plan to install up to 1,200 monitors in homes in Liverpool, that will take readings for carbon monoxide gas every two minutes. The monitors will be left to take the readings for two weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16131375

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/12/12/merseyside-fire-and-rescue-service-embark-on-study-to-cut-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-deaths-100252-29936288/

Tragic death of young woman by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

A young woman, Miriam Reidy, 35, died on Sunday, 16 January 2011 due to carbon monoxide poisoning at a hotel in Co Cork.

Ms Reidy was sharing a bedroom at the Trident hotel with her sister after celebrating the Hen weekend of her cousin. Their room was situated above the boiler room of the hotel.

Ms Reidy sought medical assistance in the early hours of the morning as she felt unwell and also sent a text to a cousin, who had also been at the celebrations, to ask if any one else felt ill. She went back to bed after seeing a doctor, and was discovered dead in her room several hours later. Her sister was found unconscious in the same room.

It is suspected that the tradegy is the result of a build-up of carbon monoxide gas. Safety inspections at the hotel will now take place and until this has been completed the Trident Hotel will remain closed.

Our condolences are with the family of Ms Reidy.

Read the full report

CO poisoning risk increases for pet owners

Now that the nights are drawing in and the temperatures are dropping we are all starting to light our fires. Those with pets will not need to look far to know where their cats and dogs are, if the fire is on they are probably sat directly in front of it.

A study has shown that pet owners are more at risk from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning than those without. As their cats and dogs snuggle up on the hearth, their hairs can block or restrict air vents intended to ensure adequate ventilation.  Partially restricted or blocked flues and vents can lead to incomplete combustion of the gas and the creation of Carbon Monoxide.

To ensure that you are not at risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning ensure that you clean and hoover vents on a regular basis to prevent the pet hairs clogging them. You should also ensure that gas appliances are serviced on a regular basis. Should you suffer from headaches, feel drowsy or generally unwell when sat in front of the fire, turn the fire off, ventilate the room and contact your gas supplier to check for CO. You can also protect yourself and your pets by purchasing a carbon monoxide alarm. This alarm will alert you should the CO content in room reach dangerous levels.

Everyone should take some time to get familiar with the dangers and potential causes of carbon monoxide.