Safelincs Sponsor National Boat CO Awareness Campaign

Spreading awareness about carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning among the boating community is important to protect boaters and to save lives. CO is a deadly gas created by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels and wood and boaters are at risk where their fossil fuel appliances don’t burn properly or where CO fumes are blown back into boats. It is not possible to detect this deadly gas with human senses as it does not have any colour, taste or smell.

We are proud to to announce that Safelincs have teamed up with TBS Boats Ltd, one of the UK’s leading boat sellers, in support of their CO initiative and the national awareness campaign boatcosafe.uk.

‘Following a number of cases of CO poisoning on boats in recent years TBS Boats Ltd have decided to launch an initiative to fit a CO alarm to every boat we sell, new and used, free-of-charge, raising awareness with boat owners.’ said Dominic Smulders, Managing Director, TBS Boats Limited. He went on to sayWe are pleased to be supporting a national awareness campaign with boatcosafe.uk and have partnered with Safelincs, one of the UK’s largest fire safety retailers as one of the initiatives of this campaign.’

Safelincs have designed and printed awareness stickers that will be distributed to boat owners, highlighting the symptoms of CO poisoning, which can often be mistaken for a cold or flu as well as having a bespoke CO boat page on our website.

For more information visit www.safelincs.co.uk/bco

Angie Dewick-Eisele

Angie Dewick-Eisele

Marketing Manager

Angie has been our marketing manager since joining in 2002. She also has a keen interest in H&S issues.

Latest Posts by Angie Dewick-Eisele

Double Awards for Safelincs9th October 2019
How are fire doors rated?26th September 2019
Gas Safety Week 2019 - How aware are you of the dangers from carbon monoxide?16th September 2019

Project SHOUT launches today

project-shoutProject SHOUT, a campaign to raise awareness of carbon monoxide (chemical symbol CO) poisoning, launches today, September 7th 2015. We are proud to support this initiative and help spread the word about the silent killer – carbon monoxide.

Here are some of the facts: Tragically around 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, 200 people require hospital treatment and a staggering 4000 people attend an A&E clinic with suspected CO poisoning. Yet there is still a lack of awareness of the dangers of CO.

How can we change these facts and figures? By spreading the awareness and knowledge that CO is a threat to anyone who has a fuel burning appliance in their home or lives in a home that is adjacent to a property with a fuel burning appliance.

CO is the result of ineffective burning of a carbon based fuel and it can leak into a home if flues are not working correctly or if, for example, gas burning appliances are faulty. Labelled as the silent killer carbon monoxide can not be detected by humans. It has no taste, smell or colour and can only be detected with the help of a carbon monoxide alarm.

Find out more about Project SHOUT. If you want to protect your family from the dangers of CO, take advantage of our special offer. For help and advice contact us on 0800 612 6537 or visit our carbon monoxide help pages.

Don´t Forget to be CO Aware in the Festive Season

A lot of homes are now fitted with central heating and are so well insulated that open fires are only lit on special occasions to create a cosy ambience. For many, Christmas may be the only time they light their fire. Having open fires that are not regularly maintained could put your life at risk.

It is essential that before the festive season begins you ensure that your chimneys have been swept. This ensures that the coal and wood smoke will be expelled properly and will significantly reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also strongly recommended that you have a co alarm in every room where there is a solid fuel burning appliance; this can include kitchens with gas ovens, boiler rooms or living areas with gas or solid fuel fires.

The symptoms of co poisoning are very similar to that of flu and are therefore often overlooked. One major difference is that the symptoms, including headache, lethargy and nausea, improve when you go outside. Should you suffer from any symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning, do not hesitate to contact your doctor. For more information about the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning or to find out more on how to protect yourself, the Carbon Monoxide Info website is full of relevant information.

Carbon monoxide on holiday

The tragic death of two young children that occurred as the result of a faulty boiler installation in Corfu in 2006 has been highlighted again as two Thomas Cook employees appeared in court accused of manslaughter.

The deaths of Christianne and Robert Shepherd, aged seven and six, was caused through carbon monoxide leaking from a boiler and seeping through the walls of their holiday bungalow in Corfu.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas that occurs from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. It is essential to have appliances checked on a yearly basis to ensure that they are in good working order and are not emitting this poisonous gas.

Alarms are available to help detect if carbon monoxide is present, enabling the occupants to escape before the gas renders them unconcious. These devices are inexpensive and can be taken with you when you go on holiday, giving you piece of mind wherever you are.

You can read more about the current prosecution against Thomas Cook’s employees.