Safelincs Honoured for Outstanding Achievement

Safelincs have been honoured for outstanding achievement at the annual Government Opportunities (GO) magazine Excellence in Public Procurement Awards, part of National Public Procurement Practitioners Day (N3PD) 2009.

The company was presented with the Highly Commended Award in the GO Best Small Business or Third Sector Service Provider Award category for the companies approach to its clients and also for its relationship with the buyer

Accepting the Award, Harald Dewick-Eisele, Managing Director of Safelincs, said “It feels very rewarding to receive this Award. We won a European tender by Kirklees Metropolitan Borough Council to supply all of Kirklees with CO monitor alarms. We offered substantially more than was directly required, we created a specific carbon monoxide detector for Kirklees with 50% longer warranty than required and at a very good price. Plus we were able to deal with all the customer’s demands.”

The prestigious GO Awards ceremony, held on Thursday 4 June 2009 at the Institution of Civil Engineers, One Great George Street, London, also featured high-profile speakers Chairman of the Audit Commission Michael O’Higgins and Chief Executive of the Office of Government Commerce (OGC), Nigel Smith.

National GO Awards 2009 – Finalists Announced

Safelincs, the UK’s leading online fire safety provider, are celebrating after being shortlisted for the final of the ‘Best Small Business or Third Sector Service Provider’ at the GO Awards.

The competition has never been so healthy and 2009 saw a record number of submissions entered into the GO awards. This makes the achievement of a finalist place even more significant.

The National Government Opportunities (GO) Awards recognise excellence within the public procurement sector. Safelincs were nominated after they won a major council tender in Jan 2008 and provided an excellent service to Kirklees’ council residents. This was part of the ‘Warm Zone Project’ in which Safelincs provided Carbon Monoxide detectors to these residents.

Safelincs, wholeheartedly supported the ‘Warm Zone Project’, which was set up to cut carbon dioxide emissions by promoting the sustainable and efficient use of energy.

Kirklees council’s head of environmental unit, Phillip Webber said: “Throughout the scheme Safelincs has demonstrated excellent service delivery and have always shown enthusiasm and commitment in making sure that the monitors arrive safely and quickly to each customer.”

The finals will be held on 4 June 2009.

Learn important lessons from a tragic death from carbon monoxide poisoning

Robert Schenker, age 31, died of carbon monoxide poisoning after shoddy building work carried out on his chimney.

The builder, who had been hired by Mr Schenker to repair his chimney stack, was convicted of manslaughter and breaching health and safety laws.  Whilst undertaking a routine task he allowed debris and fresh mortar to fall down the flue leading to the kitchen boiler.  The mixture formed a solid blockage in the chimney preventing the fatal carbon monoxide fumes, produced by a gas boiler connected to it, from escaping upwards safely.  Although the boiler was 30 years old, it had been functioning perfectly well.  However, as it exhausted straight into the chimney so when the chimney flue became blocked, the carbon monoxide had nowhere to go but back into the house.

Shortly after the building work, Mr Schenker had told his neighbours that he had been feeling unwell for several days and was advised to phone the builder to check the flue was ok.  The builder reassured him that everything was in order.  Mr Schenker switched on his boiler and went to take a nap – from which he never awoke, killed by carbon monoxide poisoning.

HSE inspectors involved in this case were appalled by the poor workmanship and failure to carry out even the most basic checks to ensure the correct operation of the flue, which directly led to Mr Schenker’s death.

An inspector with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) stated that Robert Schenker’s tragic and wasteful death could and should have been avoided by the builder taking straightforward safety precautions.

Mr Schenker’s brother, Max, said: “I hope that Robert’s tragic death will raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide. I would ask everyone to invest in a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector that can alert you to danger if you fall asleep.”

Take carbon monoxide safety seriously.

For detailed information about carbon monoxide – what causes problems, symptoms of poisoning,  and how to protect your family, view our safety information sheet.

Safelincs CO Detector saves family!

A CO detector supplied by Safelincs as part of the Kirklees Warmzone project last week detected CO gas the day after it was installed. The CO leak came from a faulty flue and could potentially have been fatal for the family. A reminder of how important it is to have a good CO alarm installed in every house!