Spreading awareness about carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning among the boating community is important to protect boaters and to save lives. CO is a deadly gas created by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels and wood and boaters are at risk where their fossil fuel appliances don’t burn properly or where CO fumes are blown back into boats. It is not possible to detect this deadly gas with human senses as it does not have any colour, taste or smell.
We are proud to to announce that Safelincs have teamed up with TBS Boats Ltd, one of the UK’s leading boat sellers, in support of their CO initiative and the national awareness campaign boatcosafe.uk.
‘Following a number of cases of CO poisoning on boats in recent years TBS Boats Ltd have decided to launch an initiative to fit a CO alarm to every boat we sell, new and used, free-of-charge, raising awareness with boat owners.’ said Dominic Smulders, Managing Director, TBS Boats Limited. He went on to say ‘We are pleased to be supporting a national awareness campaign with boatcosafe.uk and have partnered with Safelincs, one of the UK’s largest fire safety retailers as one of the initiatives of this campaign.’
Safelincs have designed and printed awareness stickers that will be distributed to boat owners, highlighting the symptoms of CO poisoning, which can often be mistaken for a cold or flu as well as having a bespoke CO boat page on our website.
For more information visit www.safelincs.co.uk/bco/
Following the great success of the 6 kg/ltr powder and foam P50 service-free extinguishers in working environments as varied as offices, refineries, farms, schools and churches, Britannia has now also launched 2kg powder and 2ltr foam versions of the service-free extinguisher. Like the 6kg/ltr versions, the smaller variant is manufactured with a corrosion-proof inner plastic cylinder cocooned by Aramid fibre to hold the chemicals and pressure. The extinguisher is then finished with an outer UV-proof sleeve and corrosion-free fittings. Like the larger extinguishers, the smaller series is, of course, kitemarked and CE marked and can be factory re-furbished after 10 years. It also features the same industry leading 10 year warranty of the larger P50s.
All service-free extinguishers from Britannia only require a simple, annual visual inspection which is carried out by the owners or their representatives. They do not require any visits by an extinguisher technician and no refill after 5 years.
The extinguishers are aimed at vehicles and locations, where maintenance is difficult or even impossible. The examples below include areas where small extinguishers are common and traditionally serviced:
- offshore wind farms: Wind turbine housings require small fire extinguishers. The 2 kg/ltr version of the P50 is ideal and is easily visually checked annually by the engineers carrying out the regular mechanical maintenance of the turbines.
- buses and taxis: the traditional maintenance of small on-board extinguishers is very expensive, as it requires service technicians to be based at bus depots at night time. With the 2kg powder P50, the annual visual inspection is carried out by the depot technicians when engine services are carried out.
- small boats and narrowboats: The P50 extinguishers are Boat Safety Scheme approved and are ideal in the corrosive environment of rivers and sea water. The 2kg powder extinguisher is ideal for engine compartments, while the 2 ltr foam extinguisher version is perfect in the kitchen and living compartments on boats.
- farm machinery: diggers, tractors and other machinery require small powder extinguishers. The maintenance of these is challenging, due to the working pattern and remoteness of the machines. The 2kg powder P50 can be installed on the machines and is visually inspected annually by farm staff without the need for any external visits.
- market stalls: market stall holders are required by their insurance to have small extinguishers with them. Due to the regularly changing location, it is difficult to arrange for service engineers to carry out the maintenance. Again, the small service-free P50 extinguishers are here extremely helpful, as they can be inspected by the stall holder.
- rented properties: Many landlords provide small fire extinguishers in the kitchen. The problem is then to arrange annual maintenance in daytime when tenants are often working or out of house. The 2ltr P50 foam extinguisher offers here a perfect solution. The landlord or any handyman can visually inspect the extinguisher on repair or inspection visits.
- hotel rooms: Hotel rooms, especially when containing any cooking facility, often feature a small extinguisher. To avoid disturbance of guests, the 2ltr P50 foam offers a great way forward here. Rather than requiring a service engineer, hotel staff simply carry out the easy annual visual inspection and record the finding in the fire safety logbook of the hotel.
The list of useful and cost-saving applications where you can use these service-free models is endless. Please contact our friendly sales team if you would like to discuss your own requirements and see how much money you could be saving. You can email us on email@example.com or call 0800 612 6537