Carbon monoxide study launched by fire brigade

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen to anyone. The gas is tagged the silent killer as it has no smell, taste or colour. It is impossible, without a CO detector, to know if carbon monoxide is present. Merseyside and the West Midlands fire fighting services have just unveiled a pioneering study into the presence of carbon monoxide in homes. It is hoped that this study will lead to actions that will help reduce the figure of people dying from carbon monoxide or suffering from the effects of the deadly gas, which can have long term impact on a person’s health.

The fire crews involved are planning to visit households to take readings for carbon monoxide, and have already made 23,000 visits to homes. They now plan to install up to 1,200 monitors in homes in Liverpool, that will take readings for carbon monoxide gas every two minutes. The monitors will be left to take the readings for two weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16131375

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/12/12/merseyside-fire-and-rescue-service-embark-on-study-to-cut-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-deaths-100252-29936288/