Stay safe this bonfire night

Bonfire night is a historical tradition in Britain dating back to 1605 when Guy Fawkes and 12 other men conspired to blow up the houses of parliament. It is a celebration that many of us enjoy with family and friends, traditional food such as toffee apples, treacle toffee and parkin as well as a bonfire and fireworks. For many this celebration will become something that they remember for the rest of their lives, but not because of the fun they had. Hundreds of children and adults will be scared for life due to injuries caused by fireworks.

It is a great worry when public figures like Man City’s Mario Balotelli use fireworks in a dangerous manner. He is a role model for many young children, who emanate the actions of such public figures. It is a hard enough problem to tackle without having to counter balance such actions from famous role models.

One of the safest ways to enjoy bonfire night is to attend an organised event. The bonfire and fireworks are usually a safe distance from the spectators and those who are  setting light to the fireworks are responsible people.

If you are having a bonfire at home be aware of the dangers and how to make it a safe event.  If you are giving your children sparklers  ensure that they wear gloves and never let them pick up a sparkler that has been dropped. Sparklers can get up to six times hotter than a pan of cooking oil. When the sparkler has finished place it into a bucket of water.  Always supervise children when they are using sparklers and ensure that they keep them at arms length and away from others.

Keep fireworks out of reach from children and in a metal box to prevent them getting accidentally ignited. Never return to a firework that has not gone off.  Always act in a sensible manner around fireworks and never throw them at anyone, hold them in your hand when lighting them or put them into the bonfire. Walk away if anyone acts in an irresponsible manner, what may seam like fun could end with life long scars.

Ensure that you know what to do in the event of a someone getting burnt. Have a first aid kit or burns kit at hand. Act quickly and where injuries are severe seek medical advice.

For further information on bonfire night safety visit http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/FireSafety/DG_064665

http://www.cbtrust.org.uk/newsevents/2010/FireworkSafety.shtml

Fireworld self-maintenance extinguishers installed in our local primary school

Alford Primary School, local to our Safelincs headquarters based in Lincolnshire has installed our britannia Fireworld self-maintenance fire extinguishers. These extinguishers carry a 10 year guarantee and do not need a service engineer to carry out the yearly inspection.

Having a 10 year guarantee and not requiring a refill after 5 years or any engineer servicing visits for the life span of the extinguishers is a huge cost saving for schools. As budgets are always under scrutiny and with the government looking for additional cuts, the savings achieved by changing to Fireworld make great sense.

When we installed the Fireworld extinguishers in the Alford Primary School, training was given to school representatives to be able to carry out the simple yearly inspection themselves. Fireworld extinguishers are accepted by most insurance companies.

There is a video available to demonstrate how easy the extinguishers are to self-maintain. The extinguishers, which have an inner core of Kevlar (the same material used in bullet proof vests), are corrosion-free and are suitable for all outdoor applications as well as indoors.

For more information please contact us tel: 0800 612 6717 or visit the website https://www.safelincs.co.uk/britannia/

Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign 2011 launch

Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! is the national campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide and to encourage people to install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their homes. Funding is received through Britain’s six major gas and electricity companies and is also supported by a range of organisations and charities, including Safelincs Ltd.

This year has seen distressing reports in the media of several campers tragically dying from carbon monoxide poisoning in their tents. These unnecessary deaths highlight that many people are still not aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide or how carbon monoxide poisoning can occur. It is hoped that through the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign that these issues will be addressed and the number of deaths due to this poisonous gas will be reduced.  Shockingly, one in ten people do not even know that there are alarms available to detect carbon monoxide.

If you have any appliance in your home that uses a combustible fuel, such as a gas boiler, cooker or a wood burner, you could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you do not have an alarm you will have no way of knowing if carbon monoxide is being leaked into your home. This gas has no colour,  odour or taste and the common symptoms experienced are very similar to a cold or flue (headaches, tiredness, dizziness and nausea) and therefore go undiagnosed. If there is a high level of carbon monoxide present you may be rendered unconscious in minutes.

In support of the Be Alarmed! campaign we are offering a Kidde carbon monoxide alarm at a reduced price of £14.99 inc VAT. This alarm has a 5  year warranty, test button and is battery operated.

To view a selection of carbon monoxide alarms available at Safelincs go to https://www.safelincs.co.uk/battery-operated-carbon-monoxide-detectors/