November 18th sees the start of this year’s National Maintenance Week and we would like to encourage all our customers to take part.
The participation in this scheme does not have to involve large DIY projects or getting your sleeves rolled up to paint or unblock gutters. It can be little things that will ensure your safety. We suggest you use this week to do a very quick check that your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working correctly. It can be as simple as that.
As it is getting colder the heating in homes is being turned on and if the appliances have not been serviced or properly maintained the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases. Checking your carbon monoxide alarm is working, or buying one if you do not already have one, could save your life.
Checking that your smoke alarms are working ensures that you will be alerted quickly in the event of a fire and be able to escape. You don’t need any tools to do this – just press the test button with your finger! Should you need to replace any batteries due to low energy, do not remove them until you have a replacement. A battery that is low on voltage is better than an alarm without a battery.
Encourage your friends and family to join in testing their alarms too.