New initiative to encourage installation of smoke alarms

More and more homes now have smoke alarms installed and they save many lives each year. To further increase their use, Safelincs has produced an advisory card to go out with residential orders for smoke alarms that encourages customers to check that family members, and other people they know, have adequate smoke alarm systems in place.

Under the heading ‘Are your friends and family protected’ these cards give a web address where they can access their local Fire and Rescue Service for free advice. The card also provides few important fire safety statistics.

For commercial customers we created an A4 poster with similar messages that can be displayed on notice boards for employees.

This material was developed in association with Fire Kills, the UK’s Government-sponsored fire safety campaign, of which Safelincs is a partner. Free copies of the poster and card are being made available free of charge to Fire and Rescue Services and similar organisations.

View these and other Safelincs fire safety resources

Carbon monoxide alarm alerts family

A Lincolnshire family escaped the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning thanks to the carbon monoxide alarm they had installed after moving into a listed Georgian  house.

The couple knew that the oil boiler that was in the property was old but after having it serviced they felt reassured that there was no possibility of the boiler malfunctioning.  Luckily some friends who had moved the previous year to find an aged boiler in place encouraged them to buy a carbon monoxide alarm. As a result they purchased a carbon monoxide alarm from Safelincs shortly after moving into their new home.

The alarm did not go off when first installed in the boiler room but as the weather got warmer the family turned the boiler off. There was then a drop in temperature and the boiler was turned on again to fire up the central heating. It was then that the alarm began to sound.

Above the boiler room was the bedroom of their youngest daughter and as carbon monoxide can seep through bricks and flooring, a potentially life threatening situation could have ensued had the carbon monoxide leak not been detected immediately.

Mrs G wrote, Thanks again for ‘saving our lives!’

‘Still working, but at the end of its serviceable life’, was the description the surveyor gave of the ancient oil-fired boiler in our newly bought Georgian house. Friends recommended that we install a Carbon Monoxide alarm and we were relieved when the alarm did not sound when the boiler was first switched on. We decided to keep the boiler while it was still working for our first Winter in the house. However, three months later we were woken by the loud sounding of the alarm and discovered that the boiler had started leaking Carbon Monoxide. We feel eternally grateful to our friends for making us aware of the silent killer in our midst and are now looking to replace the boiler as soon as possible.

Don’t leave detecting carbon monoxide to luck. Install a carbon monoxide alarm today.

Man in Ingham County, Michigan saves life of daughter with escape ladder

Mark Kennel has very little left from his home after a house fire except his charred wedding album after he, his wife, Amber and daughter, Kelsey managed to escape the flames with the help of a fire escape ladder.

A fire broke out at their home in Ingham County. Mr Kennel stated that it was not the heat or flames that caused problems during the incident but in actual fact it was the smoke that was their biggest problem. ‘Smoke is ungodly, I’ve never experienced anything like that, flames are one thing, it wasn’t hot, but you just can’t breathe.’ said Mr Kennel.

Luckily for the Kennel family they had been given a fire escape ladder as a Christmas present by their mother and father in law a few years ago. Mr Kennel used the ladder to evacuate the daughter out of the building. Mrs Kennel, who is five months pregnant was having difficulty getting out of the blazing house. Mr Kennel was then able to rescue her once he had climbed down the fire escape ladder by using a forklift truck.

View the video

See the actual fire escape ladder

Video Database Helps Customers

The brand new video database on the Safelincs site not only displays the products (quite often in operation) but also provide answers to some of the most common questions that are received from customers.

Customer service is not just about taking calls and having speedy despatch; it is also about giving the customer all relevant useful information at the click of a button.  Videos are not only a great way to explain a product’s features but also guide a customer through a potentially tricky process, such as testing a smoke alarm, replacing a products batteries or linking radio-interlink units to one another.

With the first set of videos being released today, the portfolio should be in its hundreds within the coming months, offering users more information than ever before.

The first products to feature videos include:

Ei141 Ionisation Smoke Alarm

We have a huge selection of video help guides

Ei161RC Ionisation Smoke Alarm
Ei151TL Ionisation Smoke Alarm
Ei3100RF Ionisation Smoke Alarm
Ei146 Optical Smoke Alarm
Ei166RC Optical Smoke Alarm
Ei156TLH Optical Smoke Alarm
Ei3105RF Optical Smoke Alarm
Ei144 Heat Alarm
Ei164RC Heat Alarm
Ei154TL Heat Alarm
Ei3103RFU Heat Alarm

£158,000 Fine for Landlord’s Fire Safety Breach

In February 2008 some of the occupants of a four storey house that had been divided into flats were forced to flee over the roof of 9 Hillsborough Terrace, Devon, where they lived, due to a fire.

Joseph Ernest Draper, who owned the building at the time of the fire, was found guilty of four offences under the Fire Safety Order 2005.  As a result of this conviction Mr Draper was ordered to pay £135,000 in fines and a total of £23,000 in costs.

Devon and Somerset fire investigators carried out a safety audit after the fire occurred.  The audit found that the fire had started on the ground floor and was able to spread from this area into the escape route as the door giving access to the ground floor flat was not adequately constructed against fire, allowing the spread of fire into the escape route.

It was also found that three doors were not fitted with self closing devices. Had they been fitted with such a device the spread of fire would have been prevented.

Devon and Somerset area manager, Nick Manning, hoped that this conviction would give a clear message to all landlords of flats and that the heavy fines awarded in this case would encourage others to ensure that they did not breach the Fire Safety regulations.

Read the full story