A family living in Hill Lane, Blackrod had a lucky escape from a fire at their home thanks to an early dog walker on Saturday, 19 June 2010.
The fire is said to have started in a metal outhouse attached to the house. The flames had already spread to cause damage to the rear door and had caused the upstairs bedroom window to crack, where the couples four year old daughter was asleep.
The house was not fitted with any working smoke alarms and had it not been for the passerby alerting the family to the danger, the outcome could have been devastating.
Do not leave your fire safety to the chance of a passing dog walker, install smoke alarms and ask for advice from your fire brigade. Many local fire brigades offer free safety checks and may be able to offer a free smoke alarm.