Since the start of Kirklees’ Warm Zone project, Safelincs have distributed 100,000 carbon monoxide alarms to households in Kirklees. The campaign has been very successful, with one resident detecting carbon monoxide as soon as she turned her new Carbon monoxide detector on. Her husband had not been well, feeling sleepy and tired all the time. She too had been suffering from headaches. After the appliances were checked in the home it was discovered that there was a major carbon monoxide leak. This couple were lucky to detect the presence of the carbon monoxide before it was too late.
The Warm Zone CO alarm project in Kirklees finishes in June and Kirklees council are urging residents to contact the Warm Zone scheme if they have not yet registered for a free carbon monoxide alarm. Do not miss out on this free alarm that could save your life.
Today is the beginning of the national Carbon Monoxide campaign “Zero Deaths”. The project is designed to raise awareness of the dangers from this poisonous gas and the threat it poses to householders. In the UK over the last 2 years, over 800 people have been recorded as being affected by carbon monoxide leaks and 130 of those have lost their lives. Many people do not recognise or report their poisoning, so there are many more people affected by the gas than the above figure suggests.
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that is produced when burning fuel. The most common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning is fuel-burning appliances that are not fitted correctly, leaking the gas when natural fuels such as gas, coal, wood etc. do not completely combust. This is not only dangerous to you but also to your neighbours. Carbon monoxide is capable of leaking through walls and ceilings and can penetrate into other flats or attached homes.
The main signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are light-headedness, headaches, vertigo and flu-like symptoms. If you experience these symptoms, you would be best advised to evacuate the house and contact your gas services.
A few simple ways to protect yourself and your family:
|With the start of the new year arrives Safelincs’ leap into Social Networking. The new Twitter and Facebook pages provide a medium for you to get involved with the company and increase awareness for the need of fire safety protection. The applications build upon the Safelincs ideology of being as accessible and pro-active as possible in creating new methods of customer interaction.
In an effort to improve fire safety knowledge throughout the public and build relationships with our customers, competitions, prizes and give-aways are to be launched through Facebook and Twitter. You will have the ability to leave feedback with regards to products and service received from Safelincs. We encourage you to help us improve with your open feedback, but to also let us know when we have surpassed your expectations. We hope that a place to express your thoughts and discuss topics with other like-minded customers will be a positive addition to our online presence.
Continue reading Safelincs Joins the Social Network Revolution
The Safelincs customer survey winner for December was Steve Harrison.
After purchasing from our website, customers are asked to complete a questionnaire for the chance to win £25 worth of ‘Love2Shop’ vouchers. Stephen completed his and was the lucky winner.
He said ” Just like to say thank you. The items I ordered arrived, as promised the next day. The order was well packaged and the service I received was 100%; from ease of finding my way around the website to ordering and I was kept up to date with emails. I phoned to use the technical help line as I wasn’t fully ‘clued up’ with the requirements from my local building control. The advice was very helpful and given in a very easy to understand way”.
For your chance to win, simply place an order of fire safety products at www.safelincs.co.uk.