Posted Under: Fire Safety News,News and Updates
Carbon monoxide awareness week runs from Monday, November 21st to Friday, November 25th 2011. This annual event is organised to raise the awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide and to reduce the number of fatalities due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
This year has seen several tragic deaths of campers through carbon monoxide poisoning as well as deaths in homes. These deaths were not only tragic but also avoidable. It is hoped that this years awareness week will increase the knowledge of the general public and prevent such deaths occurring.
If you have an appliance that burns fossil fuel, you could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. As this deadly gas has no smell, taste or colour the only way to detect it is by having a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very similar to flu; headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness and eventually collapse and loss of consciousness. As a result of the early stages being similar to flu symptoms many cases of carbon monoxide poisoning go undetected.
Ensure that you and your family are protected from this silent killer. Make this year’s carbon monoxide awareness week the one where you take action, ensure that your fossil fuel appliances have been serviced in the last year and that you have a carbon monoxide alarm.
If you think there may be carbon monoxide present in your home, open windows and doors, call the gas board and seek medical advice for any symptoms you may be suffering.
Here are some useful sites for more information on carbon monoxide: