Smoke alarm saves lives of family of four

There are still homes that do not have a working smoke alarm fitted and many people believe that they would wake up without one in the event of a fire. Mr Evans and his family from Anglesey are lucky to be alive and they feel that it was the smoke alarm they had fitted that saved them from their house fire during Monday night.

A fire that started due to an electrical fault in their Land Rover quickly spread to their home as flames were blown into the kitchen.  As soon as the alarm went off Mr Evans, his wife and two children aged 12 and 14 years evacuated the house. The house had already started to fill with smoke and Mr Evans said that after just one breath of the smoke he felt vey light headed.

Mr Evans told reporters, “The alarms saved our lives, they gave us the two minutes we needed to get out, otherwise the smoke would have got us before we even knew about the fire”.

The fire spread far so that the North Wales Fire and Rescue service were still tackling the fire, with four fire crews, three hours after it had been discovered.

Do not leave escaping from a house fire down to luck, ensure that you have the vital few minutes to escape a fire by fitting a smoke alarm and checking that your smoke alarms are working correctly.

To read the full report follow this link: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-15072317

 

 

House fire claims six lives, could faulty fridge be to blame?

Mrs Kua and five of her six children died in a tragic house fire this weekend in Neasden, North-West London. Mr Kua and one of his daughters, Nur aged 16, survived the blaze. Nur was said to still be in a critical condition in a West London hospital.

It is believed that this tragic incident was the result of a fault in a fridge freezer. Beko announced a recall on 500,000 of their fridge freezers which are suspected to be faulty. Beko announced the recall earlier this year and urged people with affected models to contact them. The models at risk were produced between January 2000 and December 2006. For more information go to http://refsafety.beko.co.uk/ or alternatively e-mail your contact details to fridges@beko.co.uk.

In July this year a fire thought at first to be caused by lightening is now thought to have started due to a faulty Beko appliance. Fire chiefs warned that lives were at risk due this fault and there could have been 20 fires in London alone caused by the faulty Beko fridge freezer since 2008.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011322/Beko-fridge-freezer-recall-Bermondsey-tower-block-warning-half-million-families.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041873/Neasden-house-Did-faulty-Beko-fridge-kill-mother-5-children.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/07/beko-fridge-confusion-persists-258552/

Fire service issue reminder about carbon monoxide

After several devastating deaths over the summer reported to be due to carbon monoxide poisoning the fire brigade have again alerted the public to the dangers of carbon monoxide.

As we now enter the autumn months and evening temperatures start to drop people are beginning to start up their central heating and put their fires on. It is essential that after a prolonged period of not being used appliances are checked and flues are cleared from any blockages.

Gas boilers and fires should be serviced every year and homes with open fires or wood burning stoves should ensure that chimneys are swept annually too.  Failure to carry out these simple steps could result in carbon monoxide being present and occupants becoming unwell or even dying from carbon monoxide poisoning.

This warning comes after another case was highlighted where a woman was lucky to escape with her life, her two pet birds, however, were not so lucky and tragically died.

Ensure that the engineer who services your gas appliances is registered to do so. Ask to see his/her identification card or alternatively you can get information on who is Gas Safe registered from www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about/gas_safe_registered_engineers.aspx

To view the full report: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-15004315

New fire safe cigarettes could save lives

London Fire Brigade, amongst other bodies, have been campaigning for safer cigarettes for some time. Fires started by smoking materials still remain the top cause for domestic fires in the UK and it is believed that 800 fires a year in the London area alone are started by smoking materials.

The new standard will require cigarettes to be manufactured with thin strips placed at intervals along the length of the cigarette that will cause it to go out if not puffed by the smoker. Although this standard, which is hoped to come into effect by November 2011, is voluntary there is a section within it, ‘presumption of safety’, which will give Trading standards the power to remove any cigarettes that do not comply from sale.

Many US states already implement this standard and there has been a significant drop in the occurrence of fires caused by smoking material and also deaths since it began.

To read more information about fire safe cigarettes or ‘RIP’ cigarettes (reduced ignition propensity cigarettes) follow these links:

www.london-fire.gov.uk/FireSaferCigarettes.asp

www.firesafercigarettes.org.uk/2

www.firesafecigarettes.org/categoryList.asp?categoryID=10&URL=About%20fire-safe%20cigarettes

 

Dangers of unqualified gas fitters highlighted

The Gas Safe Register has highlighted the dangers to those who have had gas boilers fitted by unqualified fitters. It is believed that in any one year up to 50 people die due to carbon monoxide poisoning and 4,000 people are admitted to hospital. There are also an unknown number of people who have suffered some degree of carbon monoxide poisoning and either do not report it or are miss-diagnosed as the symptoms are very similar to common flu.

People living in the London area are thought to be at high risk of having boilers, which were not fitted correctly, increasing their chance of exposure to carbon monoxide. The Gas Safety Register reported that seventy-nine per cent of boilers installed by unqualified fitters in the London area are deemed to be putting the occupants at risk or are classified as immediately dangerous.

The Gas Safety watch dog is urging consumers to always check the credentials of any gas fitter, no matter how trustworthy they may appear, before allowing them to do any work on a gas appliance. They are asking for help from the public in informing them of any rogue installers who are claiming to be qualified but who are not.

If you have a gas appliance, have it serviced regularly and always ensure that repairs or new installations are only carried out by someone who has the relevant training and who is registered. You should also ensure that you have a carbon monoxide alarm to alert you should there be a carbon monoxide leak.

 

10 carbon monoxide alarms to give away in gas safety week

This week sees the launch of the first Gas Safety Week. The awareness week will run from September 12th to September 16th and to show our support we are giving 10 FREE Kidde 900-0233 carbon monoxide alarms away.

Gas Safe Register are highlighting the importance of using registered qualified engineers for all gas installations and services. Unqualified engineers may not be aware of the correct procedures which could have devastating consequences. Incorrectly installed or serviced gas appliances could result in carbon monoxide being produced leading to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Statistics show that around 4,000 people a year suffer from the effect of carbon monoxide poisoning, some 200 of these are hospitalised and approximately 50 people a year die.  This year has seen several deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning of campers taking BBQs into their tents to keep warm. The embers of the BBQ emitted carbon monoxide and the victims were killed as a result of inhaling carbon monoxide. These devastating incidents reveal that there is not enough awareness about carbon monoxide.

If you would like the chance to win one of our free carbon monoxide alarms you can either ‘like us’ on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or register for our CO alarm reminder service, we will remind you to check your carbon monoxide alarms by either e-mail or text.

The Competition is now Closed

New First Aid Kits from St John Ambulance, Fully Compliant with BS 8599-1:2011

Since the introduction of the new first aid kit standard BS8599-1:2011 St John Ambulance have released a range of first aid kits that fully comply with the new standard.

Offering first aid kits with suitable and useful first aid components has always been at the forefront of St John Ambulance’s provision of first aid products. This philosophy included adding extra equipment and extra supplies in excess of the HSE recommendations in cases where St John Ambulance felt that the end-user would be better served with extra components.

BS 8599-1:2011 has now cemented these increases of items needed in first aid kits, specifying an eye wash solution in all travel kits and more plasters, nitrile powder-free gloves and scissors capable of cutting through clothing in all first aid kits. The standard also ensures better quality equipment is being supplied, with components having to meet a quality level to be used in the new kits. The HSE guidelines that provided first aid kit content advisories have been completely replaced by the new standard, the phase out of HSE kits will begin on September 1st and businesses should be complying with the new standard by January 2012.

As an approved reseller of St John Ambulance first aid products, Safelincs have the complete range of British Standard compliant first aid kits, including hard case workplace kits, catering kits and travel first aid kits.

View our full range of British Standard compliant First Aid Kits.