Liberal Democrat MP, Adrian Sanders, has introduced a private members bill to ensure that landlords are responsible for having a working smoke alarm system for the premises they let.
This bill will now have its second hearing. The bill outlines the responsibility of landlords to ensure that on the onset of a new tenancy there is a functioning mains wired smoke alarm system installed in each property. The continuous responsibility to ensure that the alarm system is in good working order would then be that of the tenant.
Mr Sanders hopes that this bill will help to protect a vulnerable section of our society. It comes as a result of two children dying in a fire in a rented property in Torquay in October 2009. The property was not equipped with smoke alarms.