Fire Safety Story Winners Announced!

We’ve just finished sending out several boxes of CO Alarms to our Twitter followers, Facebook Fans and visitors to our web site. Last weekend we asked you all to send us your favourite fire safety stories so we could share them on our web site. It was our goal to bring together a valuable and compelling collection of stories to learn from, which will help to motivate readers to improve their fire safety protection. The response was excellent, and it didn’t take us long to receive over 200 entries.

Some of the stories were funny, some were sad and some were plain shocking. But all the stories managed to emphasise the importance of taking fire safety seriously. Today we will start sharing them with everyone else on our web site. We’re sure you’ll enjoy them as much as we have!

We’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone who submitted their story. As promised, we have selected our favourite three entries and awarded them with an extra prize, as well as their CO Alarm:

1st place – Emma Morris
Winner of £100 worth of Love2shop vouchers

2nd place – Pat McMullan
Winner of £50 worth of Love2shop vouchers

3rd place – Sara Cumiskey
Winner of £25 worth of Love2shop vouchers

Keep an eye out for all the stories as they are released each week day on our Fire Safety Stories web page. We’d also love to hear your thoughts, feedback and own messages about the stories through Twitter and Facebook.

Completion of ‘Warm Zone’ Project

A very successful project is slowly coming to an end. In 2008 Kirklees Council decided to offer its residents free CO alarms through their WarmZone project. Safelincs was chosen as supplier of Kidde carbon monoxide detectors and has by now supplied over 120,000 CO detectors for this project.  To celebrate the completion of this  program, a photo shoot was arranged for all key partners that participated in the project. Keeley Broddle, from Safelincs Customer Care Team, can be seen on the left in the second row. Safelincs is extremely proud of its contribution to this achievement and to have been a part of this project.

FireKills Advertisement Receives Award

Last year’s FireKills campaign has received a Yellow Pencil award by D&AD. The campaign was used to depict the effect of smoke and compared this to drowning.

FireKills is a governmental fire safety promotion campaign in which Safelincs Ltd is stakeholder. The short film created for last year’s campaign is very hard hitting and shows a couple asleep in a bed underwater. The voiceover of the film makes the comparison to toxic smoke by stating that you only need two or three breaths to be rendered unconscious.

Safelincs would like to congratulate all at FireKills on this prestigious award. View the short film

CO Detector Study Published

In September 2009 the Department for Communities and Local Government published a report that looked at deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning and the provision of CO detectors under the buildings regulations.

The report looked at the number of deaths per year caused as a result of carbon monoxide and how cost effective it would be to install carbon monoxide detectors to prevent these deaths.

There are various types of carbon monoxide detectors ranging from battery operated units, plug-ins and hard-wired CO alarms. The life span of each type of unit was also taken into consideration throughout the study.

The conclusive recommendations of the study are that it is advisable to install a carbon monoxide detector and that the installation of such a unit is cost effective. This study also makes recommendations that boats and caravans that have combustion appliances should also install a carbon monoxide detector.

It is expected that the Buidling Regulations will shortly be updated to reflect these recommendations. We will keep you informed.

Further information on this CO alarm study

Further general information on carbon monoxide alarms

Carbon monoxide on holiday

The tragic death of two young children that occurred as the result of a faulty boiler installation in Corfu in 2006 has been highlighted again as two Thomas Cook employees appeared in court accused of manslaughter.

The deaths of Christianne and Robert Shepherd, aged seven and six, was caused through carbon monoxide leaking from a boiler and seeping through the walls of their holiday bungalow in Corfu.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas that occurs from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. It is essential to have appliances checked on a yearly basis to ensure that they are in good working order and are not emitting this poisonous gas.

Alarms are available to help detect if carbon monoxide is present, enabling the occupants to escape before the gas renders them unconcious. These devices are inexpensive and can be taken with you when you go on holiday, giving you piece of mind wherever you are.

You can read more about the current prosecution against Thomas Cook’s employees.