Fire Victim disconnected battery from smoke alarm

A man from Corby in Northampton died after being engulfed in flames. The pensioner was overwhelmed by flames after falling asleep in his lounge with a lit cigarette.

The man had returned home after a late night drinking session in August 2008 and fallen to sleep holding a cigarette. This began smouldering and set fire to his trousers, his girlfriend desperately tried to douse the flames as he screamed for help.

After the inquest in June, it was discovered that he had previously taken the batteries out of his smoke alarm after it kept going off. This is a tragic occurrence that could have been avoided. It is important that you have a working smoke alarm and that it is checked on a regular basis.

To read more about this story visit the BBC news site.

May Customer Survey winner announced!

May’s customer survey winner was Mr Keith Spence of Frampton, Dorchester.
Every month Safelincs offers their customers the chance to win £25 worth of ‘Love2shop’ high street vouchers.
All he had to do was fill out a customer survey questionnaire and he was immediately entered into the prize draw.

Mr Keith Spence said: “I was absolutely delighted with the service. You were one of only a few suppliers that I found that had the items I wanted in stock and the goods arrived the next day. Overall, I was extremely happy and would highly recommend you.”

Landlords imprisoned for breech of Fire Safety regulations

London Fire Brigade have successfully prosecuted two landlords for breaching fire safety regulations in one of their houses that had been converted into bedsits.

After a fire had broken out at the premises, inspectors found that the landlords were guilty of a number of breaches of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. The landlords were informed of the breaches, which included inadequate fire detection, absence of emergency lighting along the stairway, absence of proper fire doors to bedrooms and communal kitchen as well as inadequate provision of fire extinguishers and fire blankets and no fire risk assessment available.

The landlords failed to complete work that had been requested of them to rectify the breaches of the legislation. This resulted in a prosecution being brought against them. The two landlords have been sentenced to six months imprisonment and ordered to pay £5000 costs each.

This case should remind landlords of their responsibilities and of the consequences of not ensuring that the rented accommodation that they own complies with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

Don’t delay dealing with your responsibilities…. We can help you with fire risk assessments and we can supply all fire safety products you require.

Successful tender for fire extinguishers

Safelincs have successfully tendered for the supply of fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and CO alarms to East Riding of Yorkshire Council. Safelincs will be supplying fire safety goods for a period of three years to the East Yorkshire Council. We see this as a confirmation of our strategy to focus on the fire safety needs in the public sector. Safelincs has just been awarded ‘Highly Commended’ status at the National GO Awards for Public Procurement Excellence

Carbon Monoxide, a tragic death

After having taken the precaution of having ones chimney swept and boiler serviced you would think that you would be safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Unfortunately, this was not the case for an elderly retired law lecturer who died from carbon monoxide poisoning the morning after having his coal pellet burning central heating boiler and flue cleaned by a chimney sweep.

What makes this case even more tragic is, that the gentleman’s wife had suffered from chest pains and a bad headache that day and had been admitted to hospital, as she was an angina sufferer. It was later confirmed that she had also been suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. As her husband did not complain of any symptoms at the time, carbon monoxide poisoning was overlooked and he stayed at home. The gentleman was found slumped in a chair in his home the next morning and was declared dead at the scene.

This case highlights how valuable a carbon monoxide alarm can be. If only one had been installed at this home, this senseless death could have been prevented. If you use fossil fuels (gas, oil, coal and wood) within your home, you could be at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, sore throat, dizziness and nausea. More severe poisoning can result in confusion, drowsiness and difficulty breathing. Ultimately it leads to coma and death.

Further  information can be found in the Belfast Telegraph

Safelincs Honoured for Outstanding Achievement

Safelincs have been honoured for outstanding achievement at the annual Government Opportunities (GO) magazine Excellence in Public Procurement Awards, part of National Public Procurement Practitioners Day (N3PD) 2009.

The company was presented with the Highly Commended Award in the GO Best Small Business or Third Sector Service Provider Award category for the companies approach to its clients and also for its relationship with the buyer

Accepting the Award, Harald Dewick-Eisele, Managing Director of Safelincs, said “It feels very rewarding to receive this Award. We won a European tender by Kirklees Metropolitan Borough Council to supply all of Kirklees with CO monitor alarms. We offered substantially more than was directly required, we created a specific carbon monoxide detector for Kirklees with 50% longer warranty than required and at a very good price. Plus we were able to deal with all the customer’s demands.”

The prestigious GO Awards ceremony, held on Thursday 4 June 2009 at the Institution of Civil Engineers, One Great George Street, London, also featured high-profile speakers Chairman of the Audit Commission Michael O’Higgins and Chief Executive of the Office of Government Commerce (OGC), Nigel Smith.